• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dresser 4000 Loaders ?

JimInOz

I'm wondering if there was a Dresser 4000 Loader made in the 90s,& if anyone knows where they are working.??
I have no knowledge of it,apart from a brief feature on the web.
Any info appreciated.

Jim

Dogger

Occupation
Operator
G,day Jim
If you want to know any thing about Hough,Gallions,IH construction,Dresser,Dresta
contact I.H.k services from Adelaide .Very knowledgable man and can talk the ears off a bar stool and can source many parts for odd construction machines. He can tell you off hand of any machines that were brought in to Aus.

Have your self a good day.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
If you want to know any thing about Hough,Gallions,IH construction,Dresser,Dresta
contact I.H.k services from Adelaide .Very knowledgable man and can talk the ears off a bar stool and can source many parts for odd construction machines. He can tell you off hand of any machines that were brought in to Aus.

He couldn't find a crown & pinion for the front diff on our Dresser 540. He supposedly tried here and the US. Another mechanic found some on the shelf in Sydney. Just my experience.

I have never heard of a Dresser 4000, where did you see it Jim?

Rn'R.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I saw a frame for one on a test stand in Peoria while attending a school for Haulpac trucks. The thing was huge but was also a long way from being a production machine. I have heard they did make a few but that was also the time they were going through joint partnership with Komatsu and I don't think they could make a case that the machine were commercially viable.

JimInOz

Dresser 4000

Thanks for the input fellas.
My mate in Perth says he has a Transmission from a 4000 loader,which sounded odd to me as I'd never heard of them.I have since found out that there may have been a couple working a coal operation over here somewhere.
The tranny is big,but I,ve no idea about specs on the machine.
I figured there might have been a few in the US somewhere.
Dogger ,I will keep IHK on my contact list.Sometimes there are parts around,but it takes 15 phone calls to find them...often you miss them completely.
If anyone finds more info,please post.

Jim

texascadillac42

According to my source, only 20 or so were ever made. It was basically a Dresser 580 sized machine, and parts are basically impossible to come by anymore. One or two *MIGHT* still be working in the Elk Valley up in Canada, or possibly one or two in West Virginia coal mines.

JimInOz

4000 Loader

Thanks Tex42,
That's interesting...20 units is a limited run.
Do you think they were a modified 580,or a totally different beast?

BTW,I see you have a 7H...how is it performing for you?I've heard a few good stories about them so far.

Jim

texascadillac42

The 7H has been a great little machine so far. We got it with 1200hrs for an absolute steal. Dont have a single bad thing to say about it so far.

I will ask about origin of the 4000, and let you know what I am told.

JimInOz

Dresser 4000

Tex42,
Nice to see the 7H giving good service.There are only a few over here,& I hope to see one in action soon.
Gavin84W,
Thanks for the info about Griffin.I contact them & see if those things are still going.

Jim

Pigeon8

Confirmation Of Existence - Dresser 4000!

Hi Guy’s,
Sorry for the very late addition of my 5 cent’s worth!
I only stumbled across the forum site by accident while searching Google for Dresser 4000 info to reminisce on old times.
Jim’s post came up in the search, I had a read, then joined the forum to be able to pass on the info I have.
I can categorically confirm that Griffin Coal in Collie Western Australia had both a Dresser 4000 and a 580 model. The reason I can confirm this is because I spent 93 thru early 97 doing my Diesel Mechanics apprenticeship there. I spent a lot of time working on both of them and can decree that the 580 was a dog. Great ideas in design just nothing seemed to work real well especially the transmission. I lost count of how many times I was involved with a transmission overhaul on the 580. Despite this the 4000 was a great unit in my opinion. Certainly way better than his little brother.
I spent 2 months in Perth during 96 at Komatsu in Welshpool and Kewdale working with the NSK team doing a complete certified rebuild of our 580 which included the trans, final drives and ancillary hydraulics and systems.
The 4000 was a scaled up 580, but from memory used the same transmission as the 580. They were both a little different to the conventional loaders that were used to over here, as they had the cab on the front section of the articulated frame, which meant they were completely different to drive.
The transmission in the 4000 / 580 was basically a big auto trans with a drop box bellow it. The transmission had a very unique system called a “Pitto” or “Pitta” Governor (can’t quite remember the correct term) on it, that regulated the turbine speed on the out put of the torque converter. It was basically a toothed gear connected to the turbine wheel that flicked oil up into a capillary line that ran around to a diaphragm and valve arrangement on the impeller / input side of the trans. The diaphragm operated a shuttle valve that controlled the oil pressure to the piston on a clutch pack connected to the Impeller. I.E. more pressure more drive, less pressure less drive and thus was a self governing torque converter in its simplest form.
The 4000 had a KTTA 50 Cummins for a mill while the 580 ran a KTTA38. At the time of manufacture the 4000 used standard 789 / 630E dump truck tyres (the 580 ran the biggest loader tyre on the market at that time). For the 4000 this caused traction issues due to a complete different tyre grip profile and thus affected its breakout force. So tyre chains were used especially in the winter months (which in Collie is about 10 months of the year).
Griffin Coal had the only 4000 in the Southern Hemisphere, while there was a total of four 580’s on this side of the line. Both Griffin and Western Collieries (now Westfarmers Coal) had a 580 and there were two over in the Hunter Valley at some stage. Griffin ended up buying Westerns to use as spares for theirs when western bought a couple of 994’s when they first hit the market in the mid 90’s.
In late mid / late 98 they parked the 4000 up in the grave yard on the hill with the H485 Demag Face Shovel (in its hay day the biggest Hydraulic shovel made) before trading it in on a WA1200-1 when they were first released in 99.
I will try to dig out some photos and some more info to post if I can lay my hand on it. I believe that I may even have a workshop manual for the 4000 somewhere in storage. I had my own because I spent so much time working the Dressers in the Dozzer Shop at Griffin.
I can inform you that the man to talk to, or get in contact with regarding the 4000 and / or 580 is Ian Dawson. I spent a lot of time working with Ian at Griffin as he was the Field Service Rep assigned to Griffin and Western. Ian was the resident expert on the models and came across from Hawker Noise when Komatsu bought Dresser out in 92 / 93. Hawker Noise was the local Dresser representative in W.A. Ian is / was the Field Service Manager - Western Division for Komatsu in 2002 and I still with them. Great bloke, drop him a line I’m sure he will be happy to give you some more info. If / when you do tell him that Clint Messenger said “HI”.

Jim, hope I’ve been of help and I hope you see the message after two years.

Best Regards

Clint

JimInOz

Hi Clint,
Thanks for the detailed reply.I'll pass this info on to my friend in WA.
If you do have any pictures,please post at you leisure.
The HEF forums are a great source of interesting pictures & info.

Jim

Pigeon8

No Drama!

Hi Jim,
No drama, I'm more that pleased to pass on any information or knowledge that I have.
If I locate anything further I will post it A.S.A.P.
I'm not in the Industry anymore, as I'm now in Oil and Gas. However I grew up with it (my old man has driven Dozers since he left school at 14, he's 62 now and still pushing dirt) and I miss toying around with the big earth moving gear from time to time.
Anyway, I will see what else I can come up with.

Later

Clint

Gavin84w

The Griffin 4000 was on display in Sydney at the mining show in 1991 with the bucket in the back of an 830E but from the rear not the side, think they were just pressed for real estate and that was why.

Another big one off loader down under was the SMEC unit that saw time in the Hunter Valley.

Last edited:

BigDiesels

Occupation
Reliability Engineer, AngloAmerican, Capcoal
The last 4000 loader in the Elk Valley was disposed of probably around 10 years (maybe a bit more) ago. I don't think there are any running in Canada, as SMS has scrapped any old inventory we had for them. From the stories I've heard from mechanics, the one running out here provided a lot of OT for guys changing trannies. They got pretty good at it too, with all the practice.

alco

The last 4000 loader in the Elk Valley was disposed of probably around 10 years (maybe a bit more) ago.

The last one was still running 4 years ago. It wasn't in a primary role, but it was still running.

Attachments

• IMG_2679resized.jpg
    IMG_2679resized.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,240