1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozers from way back

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by RDG, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

More yet

Attached Files:

2. Birken Vogt

New grousers welded on

Attached Files:

3. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Looks like she could still do some work, wonder how long she's been sitting?

4. Birken Vogt

I don't really know, 10-20 years maybe, the seat is in good shape and there is not the expected carpet of pine needles on the deck, there is a grease gun and a can of brake cleaner laying there like somebody had high hopes, but the pony is kind of opened up so who knows what it would take.

5. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I was trying to determine the year of the D8. I believe that serial number you posted is not for the actual machine. My serial number book does not have any number like that. I'm thinking it may be the rear mount Cable Control Unit number as they also had a serial number located usually on the left upper side. The sheet metal looks like it might be that. The machine serial number would be on the back on the left side of the transmission case about half way down. If the plate is scraped off you can normally see the rivets and a little paint removal will normally reveal the serial number as it is also stamped into the case. The Cable Control Unit may cover it on some model. The serial number is also on the left side of the engine block near the operators end.

6. Birken Vogt

Sorry, yes that is the plate for the CCU. I did not attempt to dig for the actual machine SN, I will try to remember when I go back there to look for that.