• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer work per hour.........

John White

Does my Tonka toy count. I get about $40 a hour with my little Mitsubishi BD2Most times I will give them a complete job price and will come out to $70 or $80 meter time. I only do small jobs that larger operators willl not fool with.

FurakawaMatt

I used to charge $40/hr for my Furukawa back 7 years ago which is only a little bigger dozer than the BD2. Most jobs, meter time is not a good way to bill since there is a lot of time spent getting off the machine to do things like pipe setting, chainsawing, waiting for Gravel. You also have to consider the cost of moving the equipment to the job site. I always preferred by the hour with a minimum amount of 2 hours charge added for moving. Some jobs are better to be bid as a total cost though you have to be careful of chore creep. Customers will always seek to maximize what they get from you.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
tnturkey,

At that price you are loosing your backside. You can't run that machine for less just because you are in the 21st worst off county in the country. fuel is pretty much the same all over, parts are the same, and so it goes. What are you going to do when the machine wears out or breakes down?

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Cost plus or meter hour.

Hello.

I have an old Mack CH with a dump body (tandem) and a trailer as well as an old Case 580 Super D backhoe and a New Holland skid steer.
I can charge by the hour, but NEVER less than $130, or cost plus.
I steer away from farm or ranch work, not only does this not pay as much, but one must also figure on travel time and distance.
If I bill out 4 hours of work, 1/2 day, I can figure on that being it for the day, and I am the operator/driver.
I work for a few plumbers who will get together and provide me with a full days work at a time, they take care of the billing and insurance for me.
I started this as a way to pay for school years ago and have always worked only weekends and holidays or nights, exactly what a plumber wants.
And remember, it it is cheaper by far to run a backhoe than a tracked tractor in the long run.
I can road that backhoe if need be and close enough, but a dozer can not even cross the road.

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
I have an old cable dozer D82U and a D47U. I only do side jobs with them but really have no idea what my cost per hour is. What do you guys figure your cost per hour is? With and without operator?

John White

Seems to me that a few years ago a "cat" fellow told me that is you buy a new dozer, charge $50 a hour. That over the life of the dozers, fuel, parts to keep it running, laying back money to buy another one when it is worn out, that you make NOTHING. I am not knowledgable enough to dispute his word or not. I do know that keeping a dozer up, is not cheap. Eventually they all need repairs or replaced.

Hardcountry

G'Day all, just wondering what hourly rate i can expect to get for a D6H here in Australia.
Also there does'nt seem to be much of a price difference between Cs Ds and earlier Hs can anyone elaborate.
Thanks

swampdog

All it takes to ruin the business for everyone else in the area is for one company to work too cheaply.

At one time, I lived in an area where the owner of the oldest, most established excavating and hauling company would work for next to nothing. Lots of times, they wouldn't even bother sending a bill or collecting for the work they did. They lived hand to mouth, and much of what they made went for keeping their old equipment running, but they stayed in business. If anyone else charged a fair price, they didn't get much work. That's one way to limit the competition, but it's bad for everyone.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Been a lot of that going on around here too. Lost a job to a guy last year that took it for $1.00 per cubic yard. Just plain nuts.

Transitchest

New to dirt bussiness

I purchased a 2006 Case 650K Lt and want to put it to work, It has 1600 hours on it and works great, have need of knowing how to charge for the machine and me operating it. Have purchased truck and trailer to take it to job sites.

topdigger

Occupation
excavation buisness owner
Welcome Transitchest , I have Case 850G and charge $125 for first hour then $85 after that. On most job i like to just bid per job and try to get $850 to $1000 per day depending on the type of work and job specs. You for sure need to charge extra for the hauling to the jobsite, that's why my first hour is higher. Good luck

mockman

operator

Amazing...
I often wonder how it is that I can stay so busy? :beatsme
Our Cat D8R is $230.00 hr.
As fuel prices continue to climb,
so does my hourly rate.
Why even turn a key if there is any doubt that you cant cover all expenses,
plus put some $ away?
On average, an operator is worth $55.00 hr.
That covers all taxes, wages, workmans comp and benefits.
What the operator actually gets paid is always a different story.
Owner operator or company operator, it should make no difference.
$55.00 hr is what we bill the customer.
More often than not, they have a problem with our prices.
At that point, I reach in my pocket, hand them $.50 and kindly suggest that they look in the Yellow Pages under "budget tractor renting and operating".
For every 1 operator/tractor that gets paid what he/it's worth, there will be 100's that will work for peanuts.
Sorry for ranting. Operating costs will always go up.
I dont care if you have new or used equipment, or use union or non union labor.
Operating costs always go up.
I just don't understand why some lack the confidence and ability to demand a higher rate?

:cool2

wow, 55.00 per hour for a dozer operator, best I ever got was 16.00 and I am as good as they come, 30 years worth, dad taught me, he ran them with armour in korea, nothing but slits to look out of. I was getting $100.00 for my D6D, seemed a bargain to me, most would cry, beat you up on price, so I sold it and decided the hell with the dirt business, been no money in Omaha for 10 years, they seem to want to see who has the best bankruptcy lawyer. The banks and everyone keep refinancing these same idiots and the prices never go up, one company 27 million chapter seven and people still think they are best dirt movers around

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Certain truth, Mockman...... same down here. You ought to see this Const Co. working in front of my home. As a matter of fact, I'll send a digital picture tomorrow. They've been broke several times; I guess "one more time" won't hurt.

topdigger

Occupation
excavation buisness owner
For your hourly pricing do you have a minamum of 2 or 4 hours per job?
No not if it's close to home if 15 miles or more I try to allow for more travel . Say at least 2 to 3 hours but most of the times the job is at least that if they are needing that size equipment :)

Reuben

wow, 55.00 per hour for a dozer operator, best I ever got was 16.00 and I am as good as they come, 30 years worth, dad taught me, he ran them with armour in korea, nothing but slits to look out of. I was getting $100.00 for my D6D, seemed a bargain to me, most would cry, beat you up on price, so I sold it and decided the hell with the dirt business, been no money in Omaha for 10 years, they seem to want to see who has the best bankruptcy lawyer. The banks and everyone keep refinancing these same idiots and the prices never go up, one company 27 million chapter seven and people still think they are best dirt movers around

Our operators get billed out at $55(least amount we can charge and pay comp.insurance,etc, and still turn a profit)...They dont get paid that much of course. they get what ever RATE is for that particular job and if its not a RATE job they get paid in the low 20's. Maybe they may start work at $16 an hour but if they are good it will go up quick.