• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT Physical Required for License Renewal

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I got my application in the mail for my drivers license renewal and the paperwork is there to be filled out for my DOT physical which presumably is a requirement to qualify for my class A license.That has never been an issue before if I recall correctly,the only requirement was to have a valid DOT card if you were driving a commercial vehicle.
I wonder if it might be because of my age or is it a new law here in Connecticut?
I wonder what I would end up with without the physical completed?
I also have the motorcycle endorsement.Ron G

Grader4me

I have a class 1 which would probably be the same as your class A. I have to have a medical with my licence renewal every 2 years. Thats the ruling here with everyone regardless of age. If I decided not to have a medical my licence would be dropped back to class 3.
Thats the way it works here anyway.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Our DOT physical is good for two years but I let mine lapse occasionally if I am not driving and when I need it I just go get it done.I suppose effectively you could say that my license goes back to a class three since I am illegal without a current DOT physical card.It is a class 1 here too,don't know why they say class A but it means the same thing.Our license renewal here is good for a long time...........8 years maybe?I cannot remember the last time I went but I like the picture of my old one better:))Ron G

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It used to be the only time you needed a medical card was for interstate travel, if you didn't cross the state line it wasn't necessary. Has this changed?

Turbo21835

It used to be the only time you needed a medical card was for interstate travel, if you didn't cross the state line it wasn't necessary. Has this changed?

Must be different from state to state. Before I was able to take my MI CDL A road test, I needed to have my medical card.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
This just reminded me to get mine renewed.:D :rolleyes:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator

I have been cited a couple of times for an expired DOT medical card driving locally.This would have been back in the early 2000/2001 time frame.As far as I know the fine was paid and I was encouraged to get a current one.I noticed that I still had to pay for it myself.:D.Ron G

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Worst DOT physical I had was by a woman that looke eerily like my grandmother. I couldn't look my grandmother in the eye for several months after that.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I just renewed mine last month. We have had to have a physical for all commercial driving since the eighties. I thought that when the feds made it so you couldn't get a license in mulitple states that the commercial licenses all went to requiring a physical.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Worst DOT physical I had was by a woman that looke eerily like my grandmother. I couldn't look my grandmother in the eye for several months after that.

bear...that's just messed up! :falldownlaugh A valid med card is required to renew your CDL in Tennessee.

Grader4me

I remember a few years back after I had my medical the Doctor wrote on the form that I wear 2 hearing aids. A couple of weeks later I received a letter from the Motor Vehicle branch stating that I would have to come in for a hearing test in order to keep my class 1.
So I called to ask what this consisted of and why. They told me that being hearing impaired I would have to have a restriction on my licence. Any vehicle that I drove had to be equipped with 2 mirrors. Really no big deal as most vehicles have 2 mirrors anyway. They suggested just to come in and have the restriction put on my licence save going through a hearing test. What? no way... I wanted to take the test.
So..I expected to be sent to an Audiologist for this test. Oh no they said, just come in and our driver examiner will test you. Okay, whats with this was my thoughts, as how in heck can a driver examiner determine how much hearing loss that I have. Anyway I go into his office and he said..listen.. why don't you just get the restiction put on your licence as it's no big deal. Nope..I want the hearing test.
He told me to take out my hearing aids ,and he will ask me some questions. So I took them out and he proceeded. Keep in mind here that anyone who suffers hearing loss can read lips to a certain extent.
His first question (very low) was "where do you live?" I understood "live" and told him. Next was "where do you work?" I read his lips and answered him. Next question was "how many children do you have?" I heard "children" and answered him.

He said..Oh, you're okay..you don't need any restriction on your licence..and of course he had his face turned to the side when saying this. My reply was "What was that?" He said Gottcha!! :Banghead

Still ended up not having to get the restriction on my license though :cool2. They never bothered me since. What a joke that was :D

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I use a walk in clinic for my medical needs since I don't have any particular physician that I am loyal to,they throw my records away after 7 years of not seeing me so what is the point?I don't go to see the doctor too often,LOL.
This particular clinic was in a small office building that was owned by the principals of the paving co. that I was working for so it was a natural to use their services.
Well..........they have a woman doctor on their staff and she seemed to enjoy bouncing the "jewels" on her fingertips.They have some other doctors of course so I might not get her but that is where I am going when I get to it.I have never had another doctor bounce the jewels as part of the routine before,just her.Very thorough,huh?
The last physical I had was at the VA.I will never do that again,it took about a month to complete.......eye tests..........hearing tests.........breathing tests.Bless them for taking care of me but between the lost time from work and the price of gas I am better off going to the clinic even if I am not working.
I ended up getting glasses that I didn't need for driving which did cost me $$ and then I couldn't wear them after I quit taking the Lovastatin that they had me on.
Anything that affects my eyesite can't be good for me.I noticed it after my prescrption was late and I ran out for a couple of days.I still have the last shipment here unopened.I should sell it on Craigslist.LOL.I don't like pills of any kind,I take two aspirins a year.I also have a medicare card that I have never used,will have to try that out too.Ron G

30 dirty years

Occupation
Jak of all trades
:eek:I just got my license renewal too, I have to take the written and driving test, that is required since I got in a fender bender with the plow truck:( since my last renewal. O and the physical exam has been required here for years and they may ask to see it at the DMV:jawdropmy card is from 2003:eek:ops I was reading in a trucker magazine they can now put you out of service for not having a current card plus a $75 ticket

Raildudes dad

Must be different from state to state. Before I was able to take my MI CDL A road test, I needed to have my medical card.

Turbo: You need it to take the test but not to renew - unless you get a ding dong at SOS:(. A fellow worker waited until his birthday to renew. The SOS lady said you need a current Medical Card. He called me to ask what to do (neither of us had current cards since we're both supervisors and were not currently behind the wheel). She was going to confiscate his license which he didn't let her do. I told him to hustle down to the clinic, get his card renewed and back to SOS by closing time which he did.

My license had to be renewed a couple weeks later. Since my card wasn't current, I made the trip to the clinic and got my medical card renewed (Never had had a male doctor for one of these yet:eek:? ). I go to SOS, the gal is doing the paperwork and I said "I suppose you want to see this (medical card) as I pull it out and she said "nope" and renewed my license.

I went over all this a couple weeks ago with Motor Carrier since I'm going to put my 87 Ford LTL9000 on the road. Since I'm using it only for personal use, I only need the CDL, no Medical card, no DOT number, no fuel permit nor my name on the door. His advice, get it all since it doesn't cost me anything and then there will not be any tickets to get thrown out in court.

He confirmed one does not need a medical card to renew a CDL license. If you driving commercially, you have to have a card, and someone has to have your record on file (normally the company your driving for) but SOS does not need to see it.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
bear...that's just messed up! :falldownlaugh

You're right about that. Where abouts in Knoxville is your shop/business? I used to work for Britton bridge/Jones Brothers (Six Companies group or whatever you call it) I worked on some of th wall down Gatlinburg and the new bridge beside the interstat on the west side of Newport. Haven't been through there fo a few years. Used to go to the Sundown in the city thing quite a bit and the gun shows.

mudmaker

I was a little upset at the DMV here in CO when I went in to change my license over from MT. Waited in line for an hour to have them tell me if I wanted my CDL to transfer I had to have a current med card. Beings I have not been driving commercially when it expired last fall I didnt mess with getting a new medical. I just dont understand the thinking there. I cant legally use it as a CDL w/o a card. It isnt like they come out and pull your license when your med card expires. What is the point in not letting you renew or switch from out of state if you dont have the card. Anybody with a CDL knows you are not legal to run a commercial vehicle w/o a current medical.

Typical govt....common sense goes out the window!

Cretebaby

Anybody with a CDL knows you are not legal to run a commercial vehicle w/o a current medical.

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

IDK that you make that statement with all the DOT related questions on this and other forums:D