• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diffrence between expensive and cheap hydraulic oil?

lantraxco

Tractor Supply Super Trac 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid has been field tested and suitable as a replacement for the following OEMs...basically every OEM.
Fine print on rear label: 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid has NOT been recommended by any OEM for use in equipment later than 1974!!! For equipment built after 1974 requiring 'multi-functional fluid', use Super S Premium.
Front label claims Anti-Wear Properties, Brake Chatter, blah, blah...

Yup, "Field tested and suitable" but then so am I and Johnnie Walker, though neither will do you much good as a gear lubricant. As Nige and others have pointed out "Meets or exceeds" is the phrase you're looking for, prior to the name of your machine's OEM and pertinent specification.

Hey, to all interested parties: it's your machine, run what you want, but TANSTAAFL still applies even though Heinlein is dead.

StanRUS

Yup, "Field tested and suitable" but then so am I and Johnnie Walker, though neither will do you much good as a gear lubricant. As Nige and others have pointed out "Meets or exceeds" is the phrase you're looking for, prior to the name of your machine's OEM and pertinent specification.

Hey, to all interested parties: it's your machine, run what you want, but TANSTAAFL still applies even though Heinlein is dead.
FIELD TESTED AND SUITABLE by Smitty's
http://www.smittysinc.net/media-library/print-media/ Tractor Supply's source for Super S & Super Trac 303!
Field tested and suitable means nothing, sales hype!
TESTED and MEETS or EXCEEDS example Cat FD-1 / Final Drive and Axle Fluid Requirements
https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10513032

Delmer

StanRUS did show it in his post "303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid has NOT been recommended by any OEM for use in equipment later than 1974!!!"
YUP all of mine are before then ..LOL! .... Can't afford the newer stuff so I guess I'm safe ...LOL! (Have Wife - nag nag nag when I want to buy something like a tractor...)

It's not just the year of the equipment, if you're running anything with wet brakes or clutches from BEFORE 74, then you're on borrowed time, and all the more reason to use a proper lube rather than what they THOUGHT was good enough at the time (didn't know any better).

If your tractors model is a letter only, or a single number and single letter, I think then you're fine with 303 fluid:D

frodomocho1

Anybody ever hear of how much water will collect in the hydraulic oil through condensation or temp changes in the various brands? Is it the same for all Hyd oils in general?

lantraxco

Anybody ever hear of how much water will collect in the hydraulic oil through condensation or temp changes in the various brands? Is it the same for all Hyd oils in general?
Varies with the additive package, but about .5% seems to be a good rough figure for saturation. Keep in mind the bottom of the hydraulic tank can have free water up to gallons if it's never drained off, this can get sucked up and travel the system as slugs or droplets of water if you will that may do all sorts of damage as it encounters high pressures and pressure drops.

JTWAT

I paid a lot of money for my equipment. Lubrication is not something I will not skimp on. I only use Premium SyntheticLlubricants in every part of my equipment. You may say it's overkill but to this day, I have not had any lubricant related failures. I also extend change intervals and only change fluids based on used oil analysis recommendations.
Yes it is expensive at the initial purchase but it pays for itself in lower operating costs, better fuel economy, and less down time.
Equipment even runs cooler. If you pay for cheap oil, that's what you get. It may meet the manufacturers specs., but for how long? Just my 2 cents.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
I love the Great debates.. Toyota vs Landrover, Cat vs Volvo, Samsung vs iPhone..
- and oil is one of them. I've recently learnt a great deal about oils, but the bottom line is as long as it meets the required specs and tests, then one of the best ways is to do your own oil sampling. takes a while. but if you are worried about the quality of your new oil, its the way to go. OEM's offer it, WEARCHECK is awesome too. that is the only surefire way to give yourself a bit of clarity.
At my last job, the guys on our fllagship site went through a 9 month intensive program to determine the best service interval- what oils to use, when to change it, which brand to use and what filters to change.

we used CAT oils for the machines on warranty, and it was expensive, but worth it.
The point is, you can debate till the cows come home, finding the right alternative oil isn't easy, everyone has an opinion on what brand they like. we used Fuchs, it worked, met the spec, wasn't that much cheaper than other generic brands, but was on account. so it worked for us.

As nigel said in the beginning;

IMHO a good oil (& filters) is the cheapest insurance policy you can ever buy for your equipment and if you buy the cheapest oil from Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries it usually ends in tears.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
I paid a lot of money for my equipment. Lubrication is not something I will not skimp on. I only use Premium SyntheticLlubricants in every part of my equipment. You may say it's overkill but to this day, I have not had any lubricant related failures. I also extend change intervals and only change fluids based on used oil analysis recommendations.
Yes it is expensive at the initial purchase but it pays for itself in lower operating costs, better fuel economy, and less down time.
Equipment even runs cooler. If you pay for cheap oil, that's what you get. It may meet the manufacturers specs., but for how long? Just my 2 cents.

And also, its a LOT easier getting a warranty - if you're in that frame of mind. - when you're using the OEM oil. ALOT.. thats in my opinion :)

hosspuller

As said before, The OEM & dealers know they're competing with Brand X, so their price is limited in Lube & Filters.

I just purchased a 5 gallon bucket of Deere Hy-gard for $63. Walmart priced their Supertech HD tractor & transmission oil at $45 / 5 gallon pail("recommended" for Deere J20c) I wonder by who ? For the extra money I know the Hy-gard meets the J20c requirements.

Besides... I don't want to present a Walmart receipt to the IRS when defending maintenance costs. o_O