• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Difference between two CAT greases?

DirtyHoe

My local CAT store has Cat Ultra 5 Moly Part #183-3424 and Cat Extreme Application Grease #452-6001. They both have 5% moly and a Calcium Sulfonate Thickener. So are they the same thing with a different label? Confusing to a novice.

Also, I want to use either one on my Case 580C backhoe. Besides pins and bushings can this grease be used on the rear grease zirks that lube the rear axle bearings? What about the front hub bearings and the king pin needle bearings? I've read that a high percentage of moly should not be used on high speed ball bearings, but these bearings are not high speed.

Thanks,
Steve

JTWAT

You are right, That grease is made for slow moving, high load applications. A none Moly, bearing grease should be used in anything high speed.

Shimmy1

I looked up the specs on the two greases. Not a lot of difference, but the Extreme does have a little higher test numbers. Also, the extreme is rated for high speed/high load, and the Ultra5 is only rated for high load. Either way, I wouldn't use a moly grease in a bearing application, even if it says you can. If you decide on the Cat Extreme grease, it does not pump for **** under 40°F.