• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

difference between 928G and IT28G

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
We have an 928G on our job that to me looks about the same as a IT28. Are there quite a few differences? I would assume that maybe the 928 is more suited for loader work but am just guessing. I suppose I should just do some research to figure it out, but you guys are so great I figured I would ask here.

928G Boy

if by IT28 you mean IT28G, then yes it's practically the same machine aside from the boom and linkage.

The 928G with Z-linkage is usually not equipped with quick attach nor a third valve for attachments, whereas the IT28G is always equipped with quick-attach and a third valve. The 928G is a better machine for loader work, but really not by that much... the 928G can dump a bucket faster... but that's all anyone really notices when operating.

In the interior, all I can remember being different is that the auto-leveller in the IT28G has two 'modes' one for loader and the other for forks. The switch controlling that mode is located on the same panel as ride control/throttle lock, etc...

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
That is what it is, the style of bucket dump linkage. Both of ours have quick couplers. It just seemed so strange to me that they brought in a 928G and hauled the IT28G away.

9420pullpan

the IT 28 has a parallel lift pattern and the 928 does not, and yes the IT usually has a quick disconnect head on it.

928G Boy

That is what it is, the style of bucket dump linkage. Both of ours have quick couplers. It just seemed so strange to me that they brought in a 928G and hauled the IT28G away.

Sounds like you have a good equipment manager. I never really liked the IT28G much... the 930G has better visability and outperforms the IT28G as a loader as well...

If all I'm doing is pounding in a road, I'll take the Z linkage, but for pipe crew support, the 930G is probably the way to go for stringing out pipe, hydrants, valves, big 24" tees and bends that come on pallets. The IT28 isn't even on Cat's website anymore... R.I.P. Integrated Tool Carriers?

the IT 28 has a parallel lift pattern and the 928 does not, and yes the IT usually has a quick disconnect head on it.

Usually has a quick disconnect? I thought they all did, all the way back to the old IT28Bs and whatnot... Also thanks for the info, I never noticed that the IT had a straight vertical lift... good to know

Last edited:

JCBgm

As others have said:

Z-bar
1. has a sharp torque curve. Generates high breakout forces when the bucket is level (ie loading out of a pile). Weaker at curled/uncurled positions.
2. 1 bucket dump/curl cylinder
3. Fewer pivots/pins that TC

Tool Carrier
1. Has a flatter torque curve. Generates higher breakout force than z-bar when bucket is dumped or curled. Well suited for log forks/grapple.
2. Parallel lift design is also more helpful when handling materials.
3. Better visibility down the center of the machine when equipped with forks.
4. Wider range of motion than z-bar. A TC machine will dump (uncurl more) further when close to the ground (when compared to Z-bar).

You guys are all correct to one degree or another about what makes a tool carrier a tool carrier, But, you're mising the one big reason they have the parrallel, or retractable linkage.

It's so it won't interfere with the tool when the attachment is in full rollback. The Bell crank on the Z-bar machine comes forward, into the back center of the attachment when you roll it back. There for you are very limited in what you can mount on the machine.

The Parrallel Linkage machines, the Cat Uni-booms, The John Deere Powerllels, or Volvo Style Linkages have no bell crank to interfere with the attachment, so you can mount anything on them. Hence the name Tool Carrier.

Simple. They can just carry a larger variety of atttachments.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
faster dump because youre filling the rod end with oil and stronger because youre pushing with the bore end

i belive i read that and a few other reason's in the cat performance handbook

heavylift

Never liked the tool carriers.... too small of bucket , compared to the other machines we had of it's size.... at least you didn't have to worry about hitting the side of a dump truck..
It's almost scary in snow.... it will have more weight than it can handle.. seen it a few times with the rear wheel about 3' off the ground.
Seen one roll over going across a small slope.. angle and turning was just right to be wrong... a rock about the size of a can of vegetables turned it over..
Slow motion. I dug two scoops out, while it rolled. No injuries.... But it did set there all day, waiting to be rescued... Excavator couldn't be used because of the road.. More or less shut the job down for a day

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
non- IT's turn over too lol.

I had it stacking dirt,.....and slight turn and slight bump of dirt and.....

Attachments

• equip.-trackloaderpushingoverwheelloader(1a).jpg
    equip.-trackloaderpushingoverwheelloader(1a).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5,105

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
not to poke at you....but, how do you flip a loader over on flat ground? that is too bad, hope everyone is ok.
I would hazard a guess that "knob" of raised ground at the extreme right of the photo had something to do with it ....... combine that with a loaded bucket raised to full height and she'll go over every time. Not for nothing do all the instructional videos for operating loaders always tell you to keep the bucket as close as possible to the ground at all times except when raising to dump. Getting that back was probably pretty easy, I once recall having to do it with a 994. Now that was fun, NOT .......

eddie019

For me they don't have a big differences the good about them is that they are both useful.In Finland country i remember many people use to collect different kind of tools and other things in their autotalli hinta or storage garage which is really a excellent thing that in case that their is something need to repair everything is in there.