• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel transfer pump queation

digdig

I've a JS200LC and it has diesel transfer pump for filling from a bowser. The switch was broke since I got it so hadn't used it, but now I've had the thought: Is it a 12V or a 24V pump? On the pump the writing is all worn off, can'r get the model or anything. The leads going to the battery(s) are crocodile clips and obviously not connected when not used so I don't know what to set this pump up for. What do you guys think, try it at 12V and see if it pumps OK then try it at 24V and see how it goes? I'd rather not burn anything out while I'm at it.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Off hand I would say it should be safe enough to put it at 12 to start and see if it pumps ok.. and how many gpm's. got any pics of the pump? I would be hesitant to try 24 unless it barely turns on 12.

digdig

pump.jpg

Not much to see there, the silver plate has the writing worn off. I tried running the pump with 12V with but got nothing. I opened it upcleaned the brushes etc and turned the pump manually. It hummed away then. I presume I have to prime the pump and fill the suction line with diesel?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Probably wouldn't hurt to put a bit of fuel in it just to get it going, how are the fuel lines routed? just loose with a regular fuel nozzle... or is this plumbed in to the tank?

digdig

They're loose rolled up loose with a regular nozzle. I'm going to replace the suction one as it's gone hard. I'll try priming it tomorrow to see if it works ok.