1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel fuel and hydraulic mix mix-up.

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by Garrie Denny, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Garrie Denny

Garrie Denny Senior Member

see above
    :(Hi, I just put 15 Lts of Diesel into my Hydraulic tannk by mistake on my bob-cat, The question i need answering is this, If i drain the hydro tank and replace withw hydro oil would i be able to use the diluted hydro oil and diesel i drain as fuel dont really want to throw away 60 lts of mix if i can use it .

2. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I wouldn't be afraid to do it with an older mechanically injected diesel. If you have a bulk storage tank, I'd dump it in there to dilute the hydro fluid further.

You can also use it as heating oil if diluted further.

3. willd8r

willd8r Well-Known Member

dozer operator Cat D11R
    I run 10% two stroke oil in my TD5 Landrover makes it quieter smoother more powerfull so should be ok

4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

If you put 15 litres of fuel in your hydraulic tank and then when you drained it you got 60 litres of fuel/oil "mix" then your mix is aprox. 25% fuel, 75% hydraulic oil. Based on that I would not just throw it into your fuel tank in one hit. As Steve says above if you have a bulk fuel tank, throw it in there and dilute it further before it goes in your machine.

I have no idea how many litres of fuel your tank holds but I would not add more than 10% of the total tank capacity of your mixture at one time, then fill the tank to the neck with fuel. Even then your "fuel" is going to be 7.5% hydraulic oil, which IMO is more than plenty. It make take you a few tanks of fuel to get rid of it but doing it that way should not cause any problems.

STOP adding the mix if at any time you notice a change in your engine performance, unusual noises, or excessive smoke compared to normal running.

5. Garrie Denny

Garrie Denny Senior Member

see above
    To Steve,wild8r &Nige thaks for your input.Garrie.

6. Komatsu 150

Komatsu 150 Senior Member

I don't the know current recommendations from Cat but at one time they published a bulletin that said up to 5% straight crankcase drain oil was allowed.

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

That makes sense. Caterpillar Oil-renewal systems (that continuously bleed oil from the crankcase into the fuel tank) mix up to 5% of oil with the fuel in the tank.