• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz F3m 1011F return fuel line

bowser

The return fuel line in my JLG boomlift keeps deteriorating extremely quick. This is the return line that is sort of clipped into the valve cover and it connects all 3 cylinders with two tees and a four-way. I have bought the new neoprene looking fuel line with the braided black cloth outside from two different JLG parts suppliers and both times it only lasted about a year and very few hours of running time and it starts leaking fuel all over in the engine compartment. This is not only hazardous but also a mess to clean up. Is there some other flexible fuel line that would last a more sensible amount of time ? I have tried one other aftermarket line that I got on-line that looked similar and it lasted no longer. This is three times I have changed it, lasts about a year, then splits or cracks. I am constantly, nervously, watching the lift while using it waiting for it to happen again. What should I try next ?

56wrench

Are the fittings on the hose assembly banjo fittings that are crimped onto the hose? If they are, take one of your old hose assemblies and grind or cut off the outer crimped part only and you should be able to pull the hose off of the barbed part of the fitting. Then you can just replace the flexible hose part and put small hose clamps on each one. There is a lot of crappy fuel hose being made(mostly offshore). The id of the hose should be close to 3/16" or 1/4" . You should be able to get better quality diesel-resistant fuel hose from any auto-parts store. One last thing, check the return line to the fuel tank to make sure there is no restriction, otherwise the back pressure will cause the injector leak-off line( I assume this is the line you are referring to) to develop premature leaks.

bowser

I don't think it is actually heat doing it. I think that there is something wrong with the quality of the hose. There is no banjo fitting. The hose just pushes onto barbed fittings on the injectors, no clamps needed. Yes, this is the injector /leak off line. The first time I replaced the line, I went to an equipment rental place and got the hose at $1 per inch. Lasted about 20 hrs. of running. The second time, online store and supposedly made for this application, lasted about another 20 hrs. of running. The third time I got it from a equipment supply house out west, it came in a JLG plastic bag and also failed very soon. Each time is dangerous and a real mess to clean up.Well, I just ordered a fifty foot roll of it made by Gates. Lets try that. I split the old, failed hose open and it is definetley deteriorated and cracked. All these hoses look the same, black rubber with a black braided cloth outside. I won't have the new stuff for two to three weeks for shipping so lets see what the future brings. By the way, this return is only 3.5mm, about 1/8", I.D. To be continued.................. Thanks guys !

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am very interested to see the outcome of this over the next year or two. I have similar problems but not nearly as bad. Last time I just used auto parts fuel hose in the smaller sizes, not the braided stuff.

I don't know about a 6.2 return kit but I used some stuff I had off a 6.9 return kit one time and it seemed no better.

If this kept happening to me, I would be looking for a shop locally where I would explain the exact problem to them, then bury a hatchet in their desk a year later if it failed again. (Not really but you get the idea.) At least the counter man would hopefully remember who I was and be locally connected and therefore motivated to help solve the problem.

lantraxco

I would hazard a guess to say this is being caused by our old friend Ethanol. YMMV

Tygon might work, the best solution if you can find it in the right size would be teflon, or teflon lined which may be what you have on order.