• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 2-Cycles in 2017+

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You are right, I thought that was a 12V but now on closer looking and a little research I find it is a 16V92 owned by Werner.

They also seem to have a Pete with a 3412. Can't find very much info on that truck.

Guess we need to file those under the heading "Too Much is Never Enough!"

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The turbo seems to be missing on the one previously posted

ph-10049.jpg
I kinda doubt that meets emission specs for the year model of the truck.:D

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Right on, Birken!

IIRC, that is Mr Werner's personal tractor, and the trailer is a full RV conversion. I saw it once, about ten years ago.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That is a different one. There is yet another one hauling some extra wide lowboy that came up on Youtube after the one above. It said exhaust brake. I wonder if you could fit a true Jake brake to one of these. It would seem like two from a 3406 ought to work. I would think if you had enough money to stuff this tugboat motor in a truck you might spring for some custom engineering for Jakes.

Also I wonder what kind of transmission you could use. It always seems like they have some kind of 2000 lb-ft stick which seems inadequate. I guess if you go any higher all you can get is an automatic, who knows. Not cool to be able to row the gears but I would rather be able to use all the power and torque.

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Speaking of Detroits in 2017...looks like I have to teach myself to install and ream injector coppers in 53 heads. All the mechanics who could teach me are retired or died! I dug out all the tools to do it today..IMG_1588.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My wife would call you a mechanical enabler!! Haha

I saw that the other day. Believe me the wheels are turning.....

Howcome the little motors bring so much? All the 353, 453 etc are several grand. I found a half dozen running 8v92T's in Tx for 3-5k. Then there's that one for 2,500. What gives fellers? Heck that big sucker is worth it for the 71 series parts you'd have!

If anybody knows of some reasonably priced smaller motors suitable for running welders, compressors etc let me know, I'm in mad scientist mode on something......

td25c

Howcome the little motors bring so much? All the 353, 453 etc are several grand. I found a half dozen running 8v92T's in Tx for 3-5k.

That sounds like a pretty good deal on a running engine if you have a need for it .

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Probably because there is no alternative, i.e. you can't go out and find some other 2800 RPM diesel V6, or whatever the special Detroit configuration was.

Like if it was an 855 Cummins that had puked, and all you could find were too expensive, you could use some 893 Cat instead, or a Series 60.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's true. Oh well, I'll stumble into something or rebuild the 453 I have lying out back....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Speaking of Detroits in 2017...looks like I have to teach myself to install and ream injector coppers in 53 heads. All the mechanics who could teach me are retired or died! I dug out all the tools to do it today..
Those sure look familiar! Spent some time playing with those toys! Another set of tools back at the shop I retired from that no one will have any idea of what they are or how to use them!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Those sure look familiar! Spent some time playing with those toys! Another set of tools back at the shop I retired from that no one will have any idea of what they are or how to use them!

Go "obtain" that stuff for me! :cool:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Don't forget the fresh little detroit! Maybe I need to race Watkins this year and leave some space in the trailer! :)

Jonas302

I have a 2005 KW W900L that scattered a C-15. Anybody got a 12v71 laying around... I smell a repower! Wouldn't that be a sight. Well more a sound. Late model truck with a buzzin dozen in it. Sounds just crazy enough to work :drinkup

Junkyard

Happen to have one laying around its going to auction soon unless your making a road trip...

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'll make one up there anytime. Know lots of folks all over Mn, lived there on and off a couple years. What all ya got besides the motor? PM me if you want. Thanks!

alskdjfhg

I paid $250 for a 4-53 that's been sitting out for who knows how long. Bought it thinking it would be good parts if I ever have problems with the 4-53 in the P&H.

Now I'm thinking about fixing it and putting in it the suburban Dad wrecked. One day I want to put a 4bt cummins and 4l80 in the running Suburban. Would be then have a comfortable, reasonably fast, 4wd farm SUV that should get close to 30mpg. Dropping the 4-53 in the wrecked on would be good practice, never done an engine transplant before.

I bought some toolboxes from a guy that said he knew of a 12v92 that was gonna go to scrap. He never got back to me about it though.

Last edited: