• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 2-Cycles in 2017+

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I didn't hear that. I'm a hoarder when it comes to stuff like that. Can't bring myself to scrap something I "might" be able to use. I think my grandpa drilled that into me having farmed through the depression. Wife hates it!

Junkyard

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I didn't hear that. I'm a hoarder when it comes to stuff like that. Can't bring myself to scrap something I "might" be able to use. I think my grandpa drilled that into me having farmed through the depression. Wife hates it!

Junkyard

I've seen that trait in mechanics who have worked way up north on the "fly-in" camp jobs too. Those guys don't throw anything away, not a nut, washer, or scrap of wood even. Not a bad thing at all.

td25c

I have a 2005 KW W900L that scattered a C-15. Anybody got a 12v71 laying around... I smell a repower! Wouldn't that be a sight. Well more a sound. Late model truck with a buzzin dozen in it. Sounds just crazy enough to work :drinkup

Junkyard

Adelman's has a 12 V 71 at $ 4,750.00 . They keep a pretty good inventory of Detroit's .

http://www.adelmans.com/detroit

The 16V71TT would make a wild road tractor engine . :)

http://www.adelmans.com/detroit-diesel-used-engine-16v71tt-16va6682

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The 16V71TT would make a wild road tractor engine . :)

I was still a teenager, working on the 20' x 20' shop bay overhead doors at Rudd Equipment in Corbin KY, the door I was working on had a Euclid haul truck with a 16V-71. Without warning, I mean why would he, the mechanic working on the truck fired that thing off with the air starter and me walking by the right front tire, scare the absolute bejesus out of me!

td25c

I was still a teenager, working on the 20' x 20' shop bay overhead doors at Rudd Equipment in Corbin KY, the door I was working on had a Euclid haul truck with a 16V-71. Without warning, I mean why would he, the mechanic working on the truck fired that thing off with the air starter and me walking by the right front tire, scare the absolute bejesus out of me!

Would have put the fear in me as well Willie .:eek::D

Another arrangement that always interested me was the " Twin 671's " that got shoe horned in to the Sherman tank as one of the many engine options of that time . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adEy5j4XiJk

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Crap TD I had all but forgotten about them. We used to have a salvage/resale place like that around here. Tons of old school parts and knowledge. They sold out to Inland. Thankfully the sharp guys went with them. If I call with an issue and I can't get Lester I hang up. No offense to the other guys but sometimes you just need the guy that's been around the block a time or two. My old shop foreman from the crane days refuses to turn a wrench now that he's retired but he will stand there and supervise all day long. His favorite line is "that's not how I taught you". Funny thing with him is my ex wife's uncle has a diesel injection shop. His dad taught the diesel course at the votech back in the day. My old shop foreman and the other mechanic learned from Mr Biby. Small works sometimes. I've been very fortunate to work around some really sharp guys that acknowledged my desire to learn and challenged me. I continue to learn the same way here on HEF. Hopefully my boys understand that when I push them!

Junkyard

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Don't forget about the one off neat stuff. Like the Stewart & Stevenson verticals, horizontals, 12v53, 1-71's Aluminum blocked 53's 71's......

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Hell yeah. I still keep kickin around a buzzin dozen in that W900 I have sitting around. Who knows what it is about them.....

Junkyard

crane operator

Oh my, chrome valve covers:rolleyes:- are those the fuel filters up top in the canister's also chromed? that's quite the picture truckshop. There isn't even any oil stained around the exhaust manifold.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
They never start it! Haha or put any oil in it. Yeah I think it's something about the sound of them. I like anything that sounds tough or obnoxious through a straight pipe. ;)

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Best lullaby there is....best sleep I've ever had was in my 359 with the ole B model JWAC idling though the 8" straights.

td25c

Nice looking rig Truck Shop !
These engines just keep doing what they were built for .
They aint goin to quiet down anytime soon Bro !

Living in " fly over " country I don't know how to do any other way given the engines history & reliability .
Waiting for the thread " Detroit Diesels in 2050" LOL! :)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The turbo seems to be missing on the one previously posted

ph-10049.jpg