• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

deere 710j vs. cat 450e,wich one do you prefer?

Deere 710j vs.Cat 450e

• Deere 710j

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • Cat 450e

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • other manufacturer

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters
Occupation
Student
Hi guys,wich one do you prefer?The Deere 710j or the Cat 450e?Please vote and said your opinion.Wich one of the two major manufacturer produce the best big backhoe loader?

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
i am not a big jd fan when it comes to backhoes. its top heavy like the old 780 case and when your loading trucks you have to watch the counter weight inthe front because it hits the rim of the wheel.backhoe part i give a thumbs up .the backhoe i like for digging and loading 420 and :my2c 430

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
450E must be Cat trying to compete with the John Deere 710

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I thought that's what the 446 was for and the 450E is just going to replace the 446? I haven't really compared them (446,710) to see if they are close.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
The 450E is the replacement of thr 446D and is aimed squarely at the 710's market share.

345cl

Occupation
excavator operator in the sewer bussiness
ill leave our cat in the closet and bring out the 710 anytime that is one monster of a backhoe,,

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
A 710 is a excavator on wheels. I'm not a john deere guy, but I have to give them credit when it comes to backhoes.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
i am not a big jd fan when it comes to backhoes. its top heavy like the old 780 case and when your loading trucks you have to watch the counter weight inthe front because it hits the rim of the wheel.backhoe part i give a thumbs up .the backhoe i like for digging and loading 420 and :my2c 430

The 710 is not top heavy at all and the Case 780 is barely in the same ballpark with it.It's a nicely balanced machine as are all JD hoes from the B series on up.The counterweight you mention that extends is for a second and third weight that does protrude past the grille.If you're loading trucks often, like I do, simply remove them.The 500 lbs. I lost is barely noticeable.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
We have a 710D and it is a hell of a loader and a backhoe. We also have various 410's. I really like JD backhoes, good visibility, power, balance. I have run Case and Cat too, the Cat was a 420 IT I didn't get to run the hoe, but the loader didn't do anything for me. The Case was a little better, but I'll still take a Deere for backhoes and 100hp dozers and less.

farm_boy

710J all the way baby:woohoo

6 cylinders
122 HP
28K lbs

What more do you want? The 450E can't touch this!!

Attachments

• 710J (Small).jpg
    710J (Small).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 5,117

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
What more do you want? The 450E can't touch this!!

Out of curiosity, have you seen any specs comparing the performance of these two yet?

And I wonder if the boys in Clayton, NC are watching this thread... the E-series was among the most ambitious new product programs launched (certainly in relation to the size of the machine). It's a shame to see quality go to the bottom and then see such low opinion of the 450E. It's actually kind of disheartening. :(

farm_boy

Out of curiosity, have you seen any specs comparing the performance of these two yet? :(

Only what I saw at WOC this year Tiger. If the 710 was such a target for the 450E I was very surprised to see that Cat continued to put a 4 cylinder engine in it. :beatsme

The new E-series cabs are nice though. It is just too bad that they haven't been able to figure out the whole EH thing yet cause the TMC J's are sweeeet!:thumbsup

jazak

OK my "?"; Why would you want such a large backhoe?? Isn't it easier just to buy a larger excavator?? And more productive??

surfer-joe

A Dynahoe?!!!!!!!

I'd hoped to bury my memories of Dynahoe's so deeply that I would never think of them again...........