• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 4045T with old gas

hvy 1ton

I can't seem to stop buying stuff of Fort Riley. Bought a 30 KW genset recently and after checking the fluids i tired to start it and it cranked, but no start and no smoke. So, i decided bleed the water fuel filter and immediately smelled varnished gas. Entire 24 gal tank is full gas that's gone south. Besides getting the gas out of the fuel system, is there any thing else i should be doing to deal with the gas varnishing things?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I would almost bet the injection pump (probably Stanadyne) has the plungers stuck if that varnish got to it. A real pain.

Just curious why it needs a turbo if it is only 30 kw with that engine?

d9gdon

First thing I thought too, and that should be the new style rotary pump as well.

Prolly blew a tip off of an injector when the gas/water hit? When that happens, none of the rest of the injectors can build enough pressure to spray

Last edited:

hvy 1ton

Yep, i had a WTF moment when i smelled gas. The part that confuses me the most is how some army grunts got a hold of gas. As far as i know, literally everything runs on JP8.

d9gdon

Oh no, I'm rebuilding an Army fueling facility now...lots of gas used in government cars, pickups, and SUV's.

Delmer

Hook it to a temporary tank of fresh diesel, if there's nothing coming from the injection lines then take the cover off the injection pump and free up the shut off. Flammable brake cleaner or carb and choke cleaner if you need it to get the gunk out inside the injection pump.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
High altitude use may require a turbo to achieve military specified output. Or, more than likely, it's logical use of tax dollars haha

rwoody

Occupation
Heavy Repair/Sales/Military Surplus
let me know if I can help 28 yrs military
I think i can get the gist of a problem? with this stuff

hvy 1ton

Well, after putting 10 gal of diesel in I couldn't get the primer on the mechanical fuel pump to do anything. Unhooked the fuel line from the pickup and rain it into quart measuring cup and still nothing. For whatever reason i decided to crank it and try the primer again. Primer sucked a bunch of fuel out of the cup. Not really sure what was happening there, but after bleeding the fuel filter it started right off and runs well.

Delmer

The cam driven pump was on the high spot on the camshaft the first time, so it wouldn't pump because it wouldn't release.