• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 35D Random Stalling, Fuel related?

Aliate

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Deere 35D, it runs great with the exception of this random stalling issue. When working with the machine it will randomly die out. Sometimes it fires right back up and runs fine the rest of the day, other times it will be dead for a solid 15 minutes. Ive had the machine for a week, ran pretty good for the first few days. Yesterday it was so bad that I was about to load it up on the trailer and take it to the dealer, but then it started running better. Today it ran pretty well but still died a few times. The angle of the machine seems to have an effect on it, like when I swing around to throw some dirt it will die at the same exact angle every cycle.

The day that it was really bad we found some water in the fuel by opening the drain in the clear plastic can (fuel filter?). It also seems to suck air when I open it, as if there is a vacuum. Weve ran several tanks of fuel through the machine with the same issues so I don't believe its just a case of bad fuel. The machine was service before I bought it including new fuel filter. I tried running the machine with the fuel cap loose but it made no difference.

Any advice would be a appreciated, this is my first machine and it is really killing me.

Thank you!

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Try draining the fuel tank. If you are getting water in the filters thats where it's comming from and also could be the cause of the intermintant stopping of the engine as the angles it works on change.

Delmer

Time to get familiar with your baby. I'd trace the fuel system from the tank to the injection pump and back to the tank again. Figure out what each component is and what it's supposed to do. Have you changed the fuel filter? even if you don't change it, take it off and shake the junk out of it to see how bad it is. If you have an inline injection pump with a banjo bolt inlet, then check the banjo bolt for a screen INSIDE of the bolt, that's common on Japanese systems, not sure about Yanmar. The plastic can sounds like a water separator, did you clean out the clear plastic can? the ring unscrews from the base "by hand" don't turn the can if it's what I'm thinking it is. That separator should prevent the big garbage from getting to the filter or pumps, but you never know. It might be perfectly normal for the separator to suck air if it's on the sucking side of the pumps and above the fuel tank. It shouldn't have any more suction than the height above the fuel level in the tank though. One thing to try is blow back from the separator to the tank with compressed air, if you know there's nothing in between, then drain the tank and rinse it to see what kind of garbage you get. The fuel is fine to put right back in, just strain it or let it sit, then siphon it back in, except the dregs.

The other possibility is electrical, if it has simple wiring on the injection pump you could hook up a test lead going to the cab to see if the power shuts off when the engine shuts off. Don't know if this new yanmar is simple or not though. And you know you have water in the fuel, that's a pretty good hint you have other junk in the fuel somewhere.

hvy 1ton

I'd start with draining the tank too. Depending on how much water there is and how long it's been there it could also be an algae problem. When you say the machine is dead for up to 15 minutes, is that you cranking it or just letting it sit? If it's you cranking it regularly, does it start and die or just crank?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
If the above sugestions have come to nothing it could also be a rubber fuel line delamanating internaly shutting off the fuel. This can't be seen from the outside. To check cut the hose near the engine end and inspect. If it's ok stuff a small length pipe in the hose and tighten with 2 hose clamps.

Aliate

I'd start with draining the tank too. Depending on how much water there is and how long it's been there it could also be an algae problem. When you say the machine is dead for up to 15 minutes, is that you cranking it or just letting it sit? If it's you cranking it regularly, does it start and die or just crank?

Ill crank it every minute or two and it wont start, then randomly it will start up then might die immediately, die when I put a load on it, or run fine. When its really throwing a fit, it seems to run fine at idle, like I can dig and track at idle, as soon as I throttle it up it will die.

Aliate

Thanks for all the replies, I will start with draining the tank and seeing if that helps. Im buying a transfer tank for my truck on Monday and Ill run some clean fuel through it.

Mplan

Easy things first.replace fuel filter.Silly question I know but is the tap turned on all the way on fuel water separator?yanmar engine with electric fuel pump? Open fuel feed pipe to injector pump, turn on ignition, good fuel flow?

hvy 1ton

Just had this problem with a yanmar on a deere front mower. Fuel pick up was getting plugged by some nasty junk that made it in the tank.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Isnt there an electric shut-off solenoid bolted to the back of the injection pump?
Should be 2 10mm or 2 allen headed screws.. just unbolt it and pull it out to see if its an electrical problem.
If it stays running, you'll have to stick a scribe inside to shut it off.
That injection system is NOT water tolerable at all..

skadill

have had same issue on more than one of these 35d's and 27d's.the 90 degree fittings that go in and come out of the plastic separator bowl have a small o-ring in them that come loose,and then the fitting will turn by hand.This allows some air in the system,but usually results in a drawn out power down lugging symptom.The o-rings are odd size.Also the t inlet/outlet on top of the actual spin on filter can be loose too ive found.I put a big zap strap around the inlet/outlet fittings to hold them tight and maintain a seal.Worked.Was a long time finding what was causing this.

Aliate

So the machine finally completely died and would not stay running. Had our local dealer come out, after about 2 hours it turned out to be the ground wire coming from the fuel shut off solenoid. It had broken off the block and was causing the fuel to cut off randomly, has been running great ever since. Hopefully this helps someone with a similar issue.

Thanks guys!