1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Damn this website

Discussion in 'Support' started by d9gdon, Sep 8, 2017.

1. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

What is going on with this website? It jumps around like it has a mind of its own.

When I posted this topic, it jumped down to the bottom of the page.

When I open a post to read, it jumps to the bottom of the page after a few seconds.

I'll be reading along and it jumps down a couple of posts.

I'm using Firefox and Windows 7, and I doubt I'm going to change.

Edit: I was reading my post after I posted it, and it jumped up half a page LOL. I know how Scrub feels.

xxxx

2. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    If you do not reload the page after you post and try to pageup/down it will only move half page, I think it has to do with the css layout or whatever they use for tagging in the vertical reference. Mainly it relates back to the html changes/out dating from the consortium.... W3C who used to care about backwards comparability but these days is more concerned about getting everyone to 'upgrade' to the latest greatest!!!!

3. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Do you have a slow internet connection?

When I load one of the pages that has lots of pictures it jumps all over until the pictures have fully loaded.

If I wait for the page to completely load before scrolling, usually it starts in the right place.

4. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

Yeah my internet connection is way slower here at my apartment than at my house. Maybe that's what's going on.

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

HEF forums only, or other websites also ?

6. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

No, only this one.

7. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

Well I found out it's not just this website last night. I was looking at Fox News and it does the same thing on it.

Now I got to thinking that it's so cluttered up with advertising and videos that my Ad Blocker and Flash Control is probably causing these reactions.

So I guess the spam on this site is causing it. I will learn to live with it cause I'm sick of my surfing being tracked by Google and the advertisers. Free is not always free.

8. Hobbytime

Hobbytime Senior Member

I get that same screen moving up and down, I think you are correct with all the crap advertising that has to load onto a page if you dont have super speed connection and computer thats what happens, not all the time on all the sights but too much to be a PITA...

9. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

Get rid of the ad blocker and use a modified windows hosts file

10. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

2017-09-18_070903.png 2017-09-18_070903.png
    I also am using windows 7 and the latest up to date version of Firefox. I am using AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin together at the same time. Absolutely no problems and no spam anywhere I go. Have you cleared your browsing history lately ? I do it once every two weeks with a software program called MilShield. It erases everything related to web-surfing. Here is a screenshot of a partial list of what it can do.

11. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master IP rebuilder
    I'm on W7 too.. I went in & set my computer to > clear browser history< EVERYTIME I close IE..
    NO PROBLEMS either.. all that "surfin" & the "puter" keepin track of it, will surely slow it down & it stores all those cookies.. NOT GOOD..

12. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

I just cleared all of my history and tried it. It didn't change anything.

I take it back, it decreased the size of the font on this website.

13. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master IP rebuilder
    EVERY TIME you do something to the system you MUST close ALL the programs & shut the computer down.. Wait a few seconds, get a cold drink & restart it.. It gives it time to shuffle stuff around..
    As far as the "font".. TOP left.. ".. go to "View" & click it.. see the %.. adjust as needed.. Mine is 125%..

14. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Try doing a hard reboot of the computer. If it is a laptop unplug the battery charger if it is plugged in, then remove the battery for at least 30 seconds. If it is a desktop computer shut it completely down , unplug it from the 120 volt outlet and wait about a minute before plugging it back in.
    Clearing your browser history removes only a small part of what is stored in a computer. I cannot empathize enough about using a a software cleaner similar to what I described in my previous post.
    Be careful of some software cleaners because some of them clean items in the system registry and it can be harmful if you don't closely monitor what items are being removed.
    Milshield is very safe to use, but it is pay to use program.
    CCleaner is one that is a freeware program. But be very certain that you download the newest release of it. Older versions were vulnerable to being hacked by idiots that do those things.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM
  15. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

Hey, we have a winner.

I did the reboot and it looks like that worked. I tried going into several topics and it didn't do all that jumping around.

Thanks for the help. Now y'all need to help ol Scrub Puller out LOL.

16. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Awesome, d9gdon !
    Scrub Puller left too soon. There is no doubt in my mind we could have resolved his computer problems.
    Once in great while an operating system has to be completely removed from a computer and reinstalled. Although it is very time consuming just to save all your important data to an external hard-drive or flash drive it is well worth it. That should be done every couple of months anyway to avoid a data loss catastrophe. You basically have a new computer again after the reinstall.
    Photos are one thing in particular that should be saved in another location. Especially cell phone photos. My oldest daughter had family photos and videos going back three years and did not take my advise.:( The phone had an UN-repairable malfunction and a professional phone technician could help her. She lost EVERYTHING, including all her contacts.