• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dam

Truck Shop

I absolutely practice the scientific writing method I learned in college. You define your acronym every time when you start your paper. After that you can use the acronym.
Assume nothing.
Well some on here forget when a member comes on asking questions about why there equipment
doesn't run, then the replies pile up with one abbreviation after another about sensors and other
such things--more than likely that person gets lost in hurry. Because not everyone went to college,
but I think every time a mechanic goes to see his or her doctor---all replies should be abbreviated
the the nurse can hand them a code reading chart.

skyking1

Yes I get into some threads and check myself right back out if it is not readily understandable. It is not on the reader to go google all that stuff. Take a moment and define the terms.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For the amusement of all, a segue into a story regarding the MSD body.

These things were first introduced about 25 years ago when it was realised that "one size fits all" (or even a couple of sizes) wouldn't work any more. The material selected for the structure of the 1st Generation of bodies was some sort of esoteric steel called Creusabro 8000. Wonderful stuff it was, apart from one thing - you literally couldn't weld it outside a laboratory........

We tried all sorts, starting with low-hydrogen in various tensile strengths, stainless, etc, etc. Everything that was tried ended in failure to a greater or lesser extent. The only thing that worked half-way decent was Nucleotec 2222 with an elongation spec of over 50%, the downside was it was horribly expensive.

You could do all the pre-heating, needle peening, stress relievieng, post heating etc, that you wanted, but if you happened to walk past a body that had been welded a couple of hours before you could hear a series of "ting, ting, ting" noises as the recently laid down welds cracked. Eventually they were dumped on the scrap heap. IIRC one mine dumped theirs close to the main offices, filled them with dirt and planted flowers in them.........