• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9h bevel gear shaft.

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
Got a chance to verify that bearing number for the late DH blade and it is a #8J7978

Thanks om. We're gonna try get that fixed before we start working the machine. It's completely blown out, couldn't tell what was supposed to be in there.

gary808

Occupation
Also know as citric acid rust removal. Pretty common to "old iron" restoration.
I also read you can mix something else with the vinegar to make it more powerfull, I think it was wood bleach but don't recall off the top of my head.
I started cleaning my shop tools in it and I'm completely blown away how beautiful my old rusty tooling is becoming.

gary808

Occupation
20171101_140009.jpg 20171101_140009.jpg

Attachments

• 20171101_133012.jpg
    20171101_133012.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20171101_132957.jpg
    20171101_132957.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • 20171101_132954.jpg
    20171101_132954.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

gary808

Occupation
Fun fry day with some hydraulic oil :D
Ended up using dry ice and aceton mix.
And heated up parts to 250.
Everything just dropped in beautifully.
Then we washed it all off with hotish oil to get rid of the condensation.

Now we're waiting for our new shim packs to show up so we can start the re assembly process.

Also got the new hydraulic pump and new hoses for the machine in the mail.
It's getting there.

Attachments

• 20171101_134508.jpg
    20171101_134508.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 20171101_133005.jpg
    20171101_133005.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46

gary808

Occupation
Quick update on the project. The holidays have put a slow down on having parts delivered. Amazon has caused a shipping fiasco in hawaii during the holidays.
We're still waiting on our new shim packs to show up.
We got the new hydraulic pump and new hoses and the new transmission input yoke.
Also a new transmission oil pump.
I'm off to the mainland for a few weeks for holiday. I'll post pics when I get back home.

gary808

Occupation
Update on the project, the holidays are finally over and I'm just getting over the flu.
Spent the day cleaning and installing the bevel gear shaft. Took a bit of time to get the bearings preloaded to the proper spec. Then we installed the bevel gear and we're planing on installing the trans so could adjust the lash but it's now on hold because we opted to change out one more bearing in the back of the trans.
Whoever installed the trans last didn't install the sprayers so the upper bearings were running dry. We thought we couldn't get to the bearing race pins without tearing the trans apart but we located the pins on the outside today.

Also found the left side outer (driving the final gear) bearing cage had the bearing dowl sheared off and the bearing was spinning in the cage. So we ordered a new cage and all new bearings for both sides.
The left gear taper spline also looks to be in poor shape due to the hub running loose so we're looking at replacing it. Trying to track down a local one but we found new ones for 550+shipping.

Overall we are down to replacing almost everything in the bevel gear compartment besides the steering clutches and drums.

Don't mind the green primer, it's still a cat I swear lol.

20180108_152247.jpg 20180109_124050.jpg 20180108_170007.jpg 20180109_124147.jpg

Old Magnet

You are to be complimented on doing the job right. Amazing how these projects grow and take on a life of their own. Should pay off with many years of trouble free operation. Can almost see/smell the smoke. Good luck with the start up.

gary808

Occupation
Thanks om. What amazes me is we talked to alot of d9 owners and everyone was confused when we talked about setting bearing tolerances and even shiming the pinion.
We still have to tackle the hydraulic system. We have everything ti rebuild all cylinders and blocks and a new pump. We're gonna remove the tank and open it up to clean it out.
I have a quick question for you. This machine has a oil cooler for the hydraulic system. One line pulls from the return and the second was blocked off. Should the second line dump directly in the tank? Would that be a big enough pressure difference to create flow?
Still haven't pulled the ripper plate off to get the serial off the frame so we're blind on the serial atm. Our manuals don't show any such system but it looks to be authentic cat.
Well after that we have to pull the equlizer bar out because the thrust bearings are completely missing and the bar has slid forwards. Figured were gonna put a new bushing and seals at the same time. There is also no shims on the outer pins so the track frames have been running wild. I refuse to operate the machine without it being shimmed up. Thay being said I'm worried the rear inner bushings on the track frames took a beating from the frames moving in and out.
It's like one big bucket of worms and
the sad part is there's no fishing involved.

Thanks again for all your help om.

Old Magnet

I do not show an oil cooler for the 183 & 193 Hydraulic Control. Are you referring to the machines hydraulic system or the Hydraulic Control. It would be helpful to know the s/n of the Hydraulic Control System. There should be a tag on top of the tank. There should be three lines going from the tank to the two section pump.

gary808

Occupation
The hydraulic system for the blade and ripper. It has a cooler similar to the trans cooler on the side of the engine block.
Looks like it a newer engine that had the hydraulic cooler on it. They added a spacer block to the return port on the tank and have one line plumbed up but the second is blocked with a cap.
I'll try to get the serial off the tank today.

gary808

Occupation
Seems that might be for s/n 42Vxxxx series 193B Hydraulic Control. I don't have a parts book for that one (yet).
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get the serial off of the tank. It might take me a few days though. I just had corrective surgery on my nose today to fix a breathing problem and it's gonna put me out of work for a week or two.

gary808

Occupation
another really interesting story here.. watching
It's crazy how much damage was Don in such a short period of time. It was supposedly all gone over by cat by the previous owner. How much of that is true idk. But they changed all the bearings and installed new cages and new hubs. Somehow the twisted bevel gear shaft was over looked. It had a 10k bend on one end and it just tore everything apart.

I'll try to keep the pics rolling in.

Right next to this 9 is a d3b we got for a500 dollar trade. Beautiful little machine but they did a awful number on the undercarriage and finally gave up when they burnt out a steering clutch.
I dream of the day we get to rebuild that machine.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You can stand on the ground to work on that one. No standing on you head over a hole with your hands in all that ground up metal.

gary808

Occupation
Yep it's actually low enough to use a rolling seat. The part I'm most excited for is the low cost of the parts.
Worst part is the machine was left in the weather for a few years and has some decent rust damage.
The engine and trans are remand u it's with 1200hrs on them ans they look spotless. It just took the usual dow fall starting with broken track springs leading to lots of weldig and jurry rigging.

d9gdon

Why would you jinx a nice Cat with Terex green LOL? I guess it's like a racing stripe in your underwear, you just think nobody will ever see it huh?

On the one hand, it's not crowded to work on a 9 but the weight of every thing more than makes up for the wide open space.

I'd say that you've spent as much for one of those bearings as you did for that D3B. Get a pic of them side by side.