• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9h bevel gear shaft.

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
Spent half a day on it and got the trans ready to be lifted out. What a oily dirty job. Def finely have some leaks to sort out.
Tried to get the lower bolts with the belly pan on but ended up dropping the pan.
Just have ro locate 4 hardened lifting bolts tomorrow and it should be out. It's held in on the two top bolts atm.

Attachments

• 20171002_165440.jpg
    20171002_165440.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 109
  • 20171002_155104.jpg
    20171002_155104.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 100

Old Magnet

Be a good time to replace the o-rings in the tubes feeding the transmission controls while your in there.
Big question is where to stop when working on this old iron!!!!!
2500 lb lift on that transmission, be careful.

gary808

Occupation
Haha yeah that's always the question, where to stop. We're going to try and replace all the oring and reseal the trans control and regulator blocks. Maybe try to replace some of the hoses while we're in there.
We're selling off one of our new hammers as well as one of our older 977s to generate more money for parts.

We're off this morning to do a grading gob and hopefully swing by a few bolt storrs to find some hardness lifting eyes.

gary808

Occupation
Here some pics of the trans coming out. Thankfull we own a telehandler.
I'm really happened we didn't have ro pull the whole trans apart to get at the pinion. We pulled the 3 down pins on the back of the trans and got the back plate off and the pinion out.
We're gonna replace the pinion bearings due to them feeling loose. Would have snapped more pics but my phone died.

Attachments

• 20171003_161210.jpg
    20171003_161210.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95
  • 20171004_103009.jpg
    20171004_103009.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 94

gary808

Occupation
What kind of shape are the transfer gears in??

Transfer gears? The one that drives the pinion? They seemed to be in really good shape.
This was supposidly remand by cat in California before it was sold at auction. Almost all parts seem new. Even the damaged parts are new parts with new stamped part numbers.
The machine was painted with the transmission out to. There is fresh over spray in the bevel gear case on the trans side.
The transmission is extreemly clean on the inside as well. The planet gears I can reach seem really tight and show no wear.
I'll snap some pics whn I get back to the yard.

gary808

Occupation
Hey old magnet would you happen to have a attachments parts manual for the d9h?
We're trying to find a bushing for the blade. It's the center joint where the two braces meet in the center being the blade.

Old Magnet

Best I can do is for the D9G 66A6678-up. Listed as bearing 8J7978. Probably the same for the H.
6J8792 Push Arm and Brace Group - Type 4. Earlier versions use a 6J6364 bearing.

gary808

Occupation
The bevel gear shaft we got as a replacement was pretty rusty so we have been soaking it in vinegar.
Seems to be working really well.
Half is soaked the other wasn't.20171010_100501.jpg

gary808

Occupation
New hub sowed up with the new bearing set for one side of the bevel gear. Also the new pinion showed up.
Should be getting the new salt track links dropped off tomorrow.
Ohh and the press adapter to press the hubs showed up from asia. Only one cat had left in stock.
Few more bearings and we can start out re assembling her.

Welder Dave

Pics like that should have the weight listed so you realize how big they are. Never new vinegar was so good at removing rust.

gary808

Occupation
Hah yeah, we're having alot mailed flat rate through the post office lol. They love us haha.
This is our first time using vinegar to remove rust. I'm 100% sold on it.
Only thing is you need to wash it really good after and oil.
But I haven't seen anything work so well.

gary808

Occupation
These puppy's showed up today. The shipping company brought them in the back of a isuzu box moving truck. We couldn't reach in enough so they used their fork dolly to move them to the back of the truck. Their dolly punched it's wheels through the wood floor of the truck.
It was comical.20171012_103909.jpg 20171012_105131.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
OWIE!! That will put a dent in deliveries?? Looks very good so far. I am going to note down the vinegar trick.