• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9 R's pulling pans(pics)

nkh111

Here are some of our D9's pulling pans from various jobs we have done over the past couple of years. Everyone seems to be interested in this set up so I thought I would share some photos.

Attachments

• 100_0390.jpg
    100_0390.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 3,313
  • 100_0803.jpg
    100_0803.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 3,492
  • 100_0844.jpg
    100_0844.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 3,494

nkh111

A few more

Attachments

• 100_0386.jpg
    100_0386.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 3,259
  • 100_0846.jpg
    100_0846.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 3,230
  • 100_0852.jpg
    100_0852.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 3,227

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Everybody say what you want. It is still one h--- of a set up just as it was 60 years ago (Does not seem like that long does it?) Oh well, time flies when you are having fun.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
They are an awesome set up, thanks for sharing the pics. Would love to see more if you got them, a video would be great too.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Those Cat and Pans look like an interesting set-up. In a short haul spread I can see where they would really haul some dirt. I would like to work around them some time. Nice pictures too. Do you work for ESS?

nkh111

Yeah I work for Ess on a pipe crew but we are always working around the dirt guys. They try to keep the 9's running on 1000 ft. runs or less. Any farther than that we will use rubber tire scrapers or trucks and hoe.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Yeah I work for Ess on a pipe crew but we are always working around the dirt guys. They try to keep the 9's running on 1000 ft. runs or less. Any farther than that we will use rubber tire scrapers or trucks and hoe.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Keep up the good work on the pipe crew, our best operators and foreman came off the pipe crews. Have you ever had a chance to take one of those D9's for spin?

nkh111

Yeah I used one once to help smooth up a cut and haul rode before a big thunderstorm hit to get rid of water holes and I really liked it.

dirthog28

I use to boss for a outfit that ran these setup (Cat&Pans) only we had D8 and I believe 463 pans these look to be homemade. They will move some serious dirt especially if you can set your job up to double haul say after placing fill, strip topsoil heading back to the cut. Just like stated we would keep areas to under a 1000'. Everybody thinks the undercarriage expense is high but it's not, what kills a undercarriage is "REVERSE" these machines never see reverse.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
I use to boss for a outfit that ran these setup (Cat&Pans) only we had D8 and I believe 463 pans these look to be homemade. They will move some serious dirt especially if you can set your job up to double haul say after placing fill, strip topsoil heading back to the cut. Just like stated we would keep areas to under a 1000'. Everybody thinks the undercarriage expense is high but it's not, what kills a undercarriage is "REVERSE" these machines never see reverse.

That is what I was thinking. They have no heavy blade up front and they never see reverse or any steep side slopes. I would think that the undercarriage would last fairly long depending on soil types you are running in.

nkh111

Of course the material makes a big difference but running hard every day you got about a year and a half out of an undercarriage but it holds up much better than rubber tires in rocky conditions.

Gavin84w

Dirthog is 101% on the money, when people look at these setups they just cant figure how they can move dirt cheap but think of this, when using open bowl single power scrapers you always have a push dozer so here we only pay 1 operator not 2, have no tyre or powertrain or fuel bills on the scraper and so many other things aswell you would have to be dumb not to understand how this combo is not the cheapest dirt moved around within a set of parameters.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Onlly thing I have noticed on under carriage on this type of application is that the wear is inside the links of the rail. But, overall life is good on the undercarriage. To speed up loadings we sometimes use a D7G as a push cat behind D8K pulling a Cat No. 80 and another 7G pulling a Cat No. 70.

monster truck

What is the reason for using planetary wheels on the front instead of cheaper free rolling wheels like on the back?