• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8-d9-d10

crazycajun

I have 200,000 yards of piled up sulphur in a windrow 40' tall and approximately 750' long. Need to spread it over 55 acres approximately 5' thick. I can rent either of the 3 dozers. How far can I push and still be productive? The material is really light, kinda reminds me' of recycled asphalt. Il probably end up with the d9 since the 10 just went out on rent. I plan on hauling to the far edges with quad trac's and adt trailers. How many yards can I expect to push in a 10-12hr day? May get the 8 and 9. After sulphur is spread, we will put a liner then cap it with 2ft of dirt.

ETMF 58 White

Double check your math; if it's 200,000 yards it will only be a little over 2 feet thick. The rubber-tired guys might be able to move this cheaper than big dozers. Have you ever seen one of those big wide dirt killifers hooked to a quad tractor? I am wondering if that might be a solution for at least part of it. Long pushes with a D8 or D9 can get expensive in a hurry.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
I have always heard that 300' is the max for dozer pushing. Maybe you push out to 300' and haul everything else. Do you have any pics of the job site?

ETMF 58 White

Got to thinking about this some more. Maybe you don't need a dozer at all if the material is light. Rent a 330 class excavator with the biggest bucket available. Get about 3 Mennonites with double 18 yd scraper trains. Pay them by the hour. Load them with the excavator. They can dump on the fly, faster than the ADT, I think. When they work the job up closer to the pile and start waiting on you to load, send one of them home or put the dirt killifer on that tractor and start smoothing it out.

Save your dozer money to rent a D6R to spread the cap dirt.

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Rent a large excavator and load it in trucks. I can get a 60" 3yd on my hitachi 300 an you can move a lot in a day if your good and know what you are doing a D8-9-10 is a waste of you money and money isn't easy to come by these days for what it cost to rent a dozer that size I could rent a cat 336 with 3 yd bucket and 2- 26 ton rock trucks and that's a better result you will be doing long expensive pushes with a D10. Or for same price rent a 365-385 cat or john deere 650-700 and hire like 4 dump trucks there's a way the 385 I rented had a 7.6 cubic yard bucket you wanna talk about being able to move some serious earth I was stripping pit edge for a cement plant but its quick.

Last edited:

vapor300

Are outfit looks at it like this. 100 ft is max for D8, 150ft is max for D9 200ft is max for D10 250ft is max for D11

Id rent a quadtrax 450 and an 18yard reynolds pan

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
If the windrow is wide enough, then I'd say have the dozer start at one end and push the short distance and put the hoe and wagons on the other end AND side of the windrow doing everything over that 150-200' mark. Have the hoe leave just enough of the windrow for the dozer to push out on that end as well. I'm not sure how clear my explanation is, I can see it in my head, but it's harder to explain.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
If the windrow is wide enough, then I'd say have the dozer start at one end and push the short distance and put the hoe and wagons on the other end AND side of the windrow doing everything over that 150-200' mark. Have the hoe leave just enough of the windrow for the dozer to push out on that end as well. I'm not sure how clear my explanation is, I can see it in my head, but it's harder to explain.

That seems clear enough to me. I like your idea, I think it would work good.

crazycajun

There are about 20,000 pilings sticking up 2' tall every 3'. I have to start at stockpile and work my way outward. I have a 385 that il be loading with, and I already own the adt trailers and quadtracs, hauling two at a time I can haul 60yrds a round. I will have 6n on gps pushing the dumped material over the piles. Someone already caught on to the fact that the 200,000 yards won't be enough to fill the 55 acre cell. We have a by the truck yard bid item to finish filling the cell to grade. Then we will haul the onsite stockpiled dirt ontop of the liner. The big dozer will be alot faster since where the pile is currently is where the engineer designed the fill to be the thickest. Basically I would like to know where to start dumping the fill from the pile so the dozer can push up to that point. I guess I will have to build a haul road since you can't drive anything between the piles. No pics yet, waiting for a green light to start!

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Leave the big cats in the pen... go rent some scrapers and a grader. I've personally moved 2,000 yards of topsoil in a 10 hour day, roughly 500 yards with one terex ts-14b. Get three sets of push pulls, and have them load on the downslope of the pile. Have them place the fill and chase it up with the grader. Should be able to move 12k yds per day. Take you three weeks to do it, on week two start laying liner and they can punch dirt after the sulfur, and chase that with the grader as well. Might wanna have a d6 high track around in case a pan gets stuck or something, but competent operators should be fine, and the grader will have it easy.

crazycajun

I don't think they would stand up to well, finish grade in some spots is -1 elevation, the big dozer would be gone as soon as stockpile is gone

crazycajun

Would love to see some push pulls running around on a job, but can't imagine 40 yards on 4 tires around here

ETMF 58 White

A dirt kilifer is a wide blade with rear mounted wheels, pulled behind your big tractor. Look at Fair Oaks Manufacturing website for some pics, they call them a scraper, but several mfgs make them. I have seen them 16' wide, I don't know if they make them any wider. I have never used one personally but have seen them used to spread material. The question I would have about them is if they are heavy enough for very high horsepower tractors and serious dirt jobs like yours.

That 385 and double ADT trailers is some big iron, sounds like you are geared up to move some real dirt.

Will that sulphur material be corrosive on your equipment? And what about the smell? Will your operators have to take any breathing precautions, etc? This sounds like an interesting job that hopefully will pay you well because it sounds like it is a pain in the butt to deal with.

Good luck, hope you can start soon.

crazycajun

It's the tailings, I'm sure it's a bit corrosive, no breathing test, but we will have to have 2 water trucks on site. The stuff supposedly catches fire pretty easy, just smolders though. We call them boxblades down here, I have one that is 20' ft wide and can pull about 20 yards... Talk about put a tractor in a bind real quick! I'm gonna Try to keep some good pics! Will probably buy a d8L and rent a d9r for the pushing. The 8L cause an old man I've learned alot from swears by them! Tons of power, real dependable, etc... The 9r to make sure the job gets done can't have any breakdowns.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I think you got a good plan. We have sulphur stock piles here and they are moved with dozers and hoes with over sized buckets. I think they have coal blades on the dozers but never really stopped and looked.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya they ain't easy to come by. Just make sure your dozer hand knows how to slot doze and that should help out production a little.