• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7E Head Gasket Replacement, needing torque spec and valve lash specs

Slim Tech

Occupation
Self Employed
I am looking for the torque specs for the heads & the measurements for adjusting/checking valves on a D7E s/n; 48A12788
Anyone out there have that info?

TIA, Slim

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I am looking for the torque specs for the heads & the measurements for adjusting/checking valves on a D7E s/n; 48A12788
Anyone out there have that info?

TIA, Slim
SIS is kicking my but on this one, keeps coming back "Sorry, but there are no equipment configurations that match serial number '48A12788"

Guess this might be too old for Cat to have put it into SIS. Not sure which engine this had but as you say "heads" I'm guessing it's not a 3306! Hopefully someone who has access to older info can help.

Slim Tech

Occupation
Self Employed
SIS is kicking my but on this one, keeps coming back "Sorry, but there are no equipment configurations that match serial number '48A12788"

Guess this might be too old for Cat to have put it into SIS. Not sure which engine this had but as you say "heads" I'm guessing it's not a 3306! Hopefully someone who has access to older info can help.

We had to look up info on "micro fiche" (spelling?) For the machine to order the head gaskets.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Does the S/N plate on the engine carry the same number as the S/N on the tractor..? If you it is a pre-3306 engine, a D330 I would think.
There is some data on SIS regarding D330 Industrial, Marine, and genset engines. I would guess the information that the OP is looking for would be common to all of them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I feel your pain, friend of mine still has a 1971 Pete with a 1693 Cat engine, dual overhead cam engine. Fabick techs squirm everytime he calls.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If I remember correctly Cat always stated DRY. On some engines with steel sheet gaskets we would prep the block with a lite coating of Copper Coat gasket sealant to compensate for wear marks(heads shift on the block while running making erosion marks). What style gaskets are the replacements? Single layer sheet, crush sheet steel or composite steel/fibrous?

Slim Tech

Occupation
Self Employed
If I remember correctly Cat always stated DRY. On some engines with steel sheet gaskets we would prep the block with a lite coating of Copper Coat gasket sealant to compensate for wear marks(heads shift on the block while running making erosion marks). What style gaskets are the replacements? Single layer sheet, crush sheet steel or composite steel/fibrous?
Looking like single layer steel

Cmark

If I remember correctly Cat always stated DRY.

Interesting point. I have also always assembled head gaskets dry. However I was building a C15 last year and lo and behold a note popped up on SIS saying to use gasket sealer on the spacer plate gasket. This information is definitely new. If I get time tomorrow, I will try to find it again.

Slim Tech

Occupation
Self Employed
Interesting point. I have also always assembled head gaskets dry. However I was building a C15 last year and lo and behold a note popped up on SIS saying to use gasket sealer on the spacer plate gasket. This information is definitely new. If I get time tomorrow, I will try to find it again.
Same here, this older stuff is before my time, so I know there are people out there with information that is quite different than how current things are done.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

Cmark,
Hope you don't mind me looking it up for you:
4C9505 sealant.

Attachments

• C15 head install.pdf
    336.9 KB · Views: 8

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
checking/measuring liner projection may be tricky..... Any tips on that?
Surely it's not too difficult to find a piece of solid bar that will span between 2 cylinder head studs/bolts (bearing puller spreader bar maybe...? Use that to pull the liners down and a set of feeler gauges under the bar to the top of the cylinder block to measure the projection.

Slim Tech

Occupation
Self Employed
Cmark,
Hope you don't mind me looking it up for you:
4C9505 sealant.
Called CAT, they said it's discontinued.

Ordered the Permatex Super 300, none of the 12 shops we contacted had any or had even heard of it for that matter.

Thank you all for the help, generally I can get info from CAT, this one was a little more difficult for them.

Slim Tech

Occupation
Self Employed
Surely it's not too difficult to find a piece of solid bar that will span between 2 cylinder head studs/bolts (bearing puller spreader bar maybe...? Use that to pull the liners down and a set of feeler gauges under the bar to the top of the cylinder block to measure the projection.

Thank you, I knew there had to be a way to "engineer" something, and I had my own ideas but I wanted to see what others had done.

I had only used actual liner projection gauges in the past.