• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7E brake bands

texaschad25

A friend and I started replacing the brake shoes on my D7E today. The current band that's on there is a 1 piece. I'm curious if there's a OEM or aftermarket 3 piece band that will fit back in there that is the same size. Thanks for any help!
Chad

texaschad25

A check of the parts books shows all brake bands to be one piece design.
Good deal. We pulled the clutch drums out and got the brakes replaced. I really appreciate your help and knowledge. While I've got you, I need to pick your brain on something. I just drained the transmission oil on this 7. (48A10837)
I've filled it back with 30 gallons of 30wt. I also changed filters. Problem I'm now having is that after pushing for 10-15 minutes, it sounds like the pump is cavitating and movement will eventually stop. I've checked the pickup hose and double clamped both sides, and it's still doing it. Where would you look next to figure out the issue? I cant see any obvious leaks, but I'm wondering if it's sucking air somewhere or if the flow is restricted..
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Chad

Bluox

Good deal. We pulled the clutch drums out and got the brakes replaced. I really appreciate your help and knowledge. While I've got you, I need to pick your brain on something. I just drained the transmission oil on this 7. (48A10837)
I've filled it back with 30 gallons of 30wt. I also changed filters. Problem I'm now having is that after pushing for 10-15 minutes, it sounds like the pump is cavitating and movement will eventually stop. I've checked the pickup hose and double clamped both sides, and it's still doing it. Where would you look next to figure out the issue? I cant see any obvious leaks, but I'm wondering if it's sucking air somewhere or if the flow is restricted..
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Chad
Did you clean the screen in the bottom of the transmission where the suction line hooks up and the screen in the magnetic filter? The O-rings in the mag filter tend to get hard and will leak air.
Good luck
Bob

texaschad25

No Bob, I did not and wasnt aware there was a screen filter there. Will I lose all of my fluid when I take it out to clean it?

Last edited:

Old Magnet

48A6393-up does not have a suction screen in the transmission. It does have a straight tube passing through the transmission. The tube does have end seals that can leak air. (and oil out)

Bluox

I think we found the issue..
That's where your brake pads went..
Where did the magnets go? Usually that screen comes out in one piece, Cat will have another one. I replace all the O-rings on the filter can and hoses at this point.I like to take the suction hose off the transmission just to check for a screen or flashlites or screwdrivers or rags etc. You will have to drain the new oil.Might as well change the old hose and clean the torque divider screen..
Good luck
Bob

texaschad25

That's where your brake pads went..
Where did the magnets go? Usually that screen comes out in one piece, Cat will have another one. I replace all the O-rings on the filter can and hoses at this point.I like to take the suction hose off the transmission just to check for a screen or flashlites or screwdrivers or rags etc. You will have to drain the new oil.Might as well change the old hose and clean the torque divider screen..
Good luck
Bob
It did come out in one piece but we had to split the screen to get the magnets out. That thing was a booger to get out of the dozer. Pry-tap, pry-tap, yank... wouldn't be surprised if it's never been out. We ordered a new screen from Cat and it will be here tomorrow. Where is the screen for the torque divider? I'll Go ahead and do it too. Thanks Bob.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That much resistance to flow will cause all sort of borderline air inleakage points to draw from. Get it changed and inspect as noted then try it again.

Bluox

Screen and magnets
Look on the back side of the torque converter housing just above the drain plug ,there will be a plate with 5 3/8 bolts it's under there .Change the gasket also. It's important to change the top and bottom seals on the mag screen housing and the seals on the tube to the pump.
good luck
Bob