• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R adjustable throttle switch

chadg

Does anybody know if it is possible to put an adjustable switch on the throttle on a d6r series 2. I know you can set it by holding the button and decelerator but it is a pain either idle or wide open. I can't believe this is the best cat could come up with. An adjustable dial would be much more user friendly.

Vetech63

The entire power train on this machine is based on engine speed, horsepower, and torque curve. It would not operate correctly in my opinion. It's unlikely you would be happy with the lack of performance if you did so. Just my opinion of course!;)

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As above. The power train is designed to operate with the engine at high idle and if you want to take the edge off it (e.g. directional shifts) then press the decelerator pedal.
If you want anything else in between .............
Set the maximum operating speed at a point less than high idle in the following manner:-
  • Set the engine speed to high idle. Push on the decelerator pedal until the desired engine speed is obtained.
  • When this desired speed is reached, push on the top of switch (17) and hold for three seconds. This will electronically set the engine speed as the maximum operating speed.
  • The decelerator will function normally in order to reduce engine speeds below this maximum speed.
  • In order to return to high idle as maximum speed, press the top part of switch (17) .

chadg

I just don't like waiting the 3 seconds and trying to keep your foot steady on the decel if the ground is rough. I am usually in the middle of pushing or grading and I just don't find it to user friendly was hoping someone had an alternative to the factory switch. Besides that and my fuel bill I love the machine.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
You can set the idle speed using the switch as described while underway. Just hold decel pedal to within 50 rpm or so. Computer figures out a suetting for you.

I had an electronics technician look at the electrical output from the decel pedal. ( I also wanted to install a dial throttle.) He concluded the pedal output is something non-standard and proprietary to CAT. Could not duplicate it with off the shelf device.

Just get used to using the decel pedal and run her wide open.

chadg

thanks for the replies was hoping someone had rigged up a rheostat but I guess it can't be done. yes I can set it on the move its just holding it steady for that 3 seconds. I have put about 400 hrs on it now but still don't like it yes I am use to it just don't like it.