• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6N LGP vs XL

McQueen

Looking for some input from anyone with experience with these tractors D6N LGP or D6N XL? . Quite a bit of difference in the two machines when it comes to the blade. LGP has the 13.4 wide blade and sets out from the tractor quite a bit more for the longer tracks than the XLs 10.7 wide blade. I do farm work mostly clearing -ditch work- building pads -ponds exc. Needing a dozer that will work well with a 320 excavator.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
i would go with the XL unless you really need the flotation of the LGP machine , its narrower and easier to move and the under carriage will last longer , and the narrow blade will put less stress on the C frame when clearing and digging

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What catman13 said.

I had a D6NXL with rippers, differential steer - great tractor. It could handle moderate dirt hogging and fine grade. Never ran across a situation where we needed the wider pads for floatation, if the XL wouldn't stay on top of the the material, it was too wet to work.

Personally for what we do I don't see the advantage vs the operating cost for going LGP over XL. If you're mostly clearing I would shy away from the LGP unless your work is in wet, low areas.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I've never owned an Xl both my dozers are lgp. I love the widetrack. Im sure I don't do as much work as you guys but we've been in several situations where we needed the lgp. Just saw a guy Monday across from our place in Tn with a D61xl Komatsu. He was trying to spread a bunch of dirt that was dug out of the lake bottom that had dried out. Well 4'down it was still mucky and he was stuck like chuck. He worked on getting it out for prob 3 hrs. Finally had to bring ina 320cl to get it out. I believe I could have done that job very easily with my d41P-6. It just floats on muck. I know there's pros and cons but to me it's like having 4wd you don't always need it but when U do your glad you have it. I would imagine in W. Tn where probably most of his work is he don't run into that very often and his xl machine does fine. We most likely have a lot more swampy areas here in SW Ga.

McQueen

Thanks for the input. Right now me and my business partner have a D5N LGP and a D7H. We are separating out our stuff and I keep the 320 excavator and truck and low boy. The D5N LGP works good with the excavator but it only has a 10 foot blade. I can't afford to buy two dozers like we have now so I was thinking maybe upgrading to the 6 would help me in some jobs not having the 7 anymore. Mostly the 13 foot blade is what I'm concerned on the LGP. I have never ran a D6N maybe they have the power to utilize it lol I sure they do or they wouldn't have built it that way. There is times in spring and fall the LGP on our 5 really comes in handy. I guess I will have to just figure out witch one would be best for most of my work. Biggest problem is I'm trying to find a dozer that will do what the 5 and 7. lol And I know that's not possible.

Tinkerer

I have run both of the machines you are referring to. Maybe 500 hours on the Xl and 4000 Plus hrs on an LGP. The LGP was my favorite. It does outstanding finish work in unbelievable wet conditions and slopes 2/1 and steeper depending on conditions. The XL will serve you well but it has its limits compared to the LGP. I would not recommend a D6M. I spent quite a bit of time on them and they have very problematic brake issues.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I know of a D61p-15 in Florida enclosed cab etc coming available soon pm me if interested..may be to far for you though

PNECAT

I'm looking at the same dozers D6N LGP D6N LX myself to work with my 320C LU when digging ponds and land clearing. I do have a D5K XL which works great when the working area is dry. Once you get into wet Conditions it's basically more wear and tear on the U/C then it's worth for the amount of work your getting done. I'm leaning towards the D6N LGP scene I've got the D5K XL.

McQueen you said that you have a truck and lowboy trailer to haul your 320 then I would definitely look into the D6N LGP would fit on your lowboy with the wider pads and blade. Put a wide load sign on and head out. Have you considered a D6K LGP scene you are looking for one size for both world's? 125hp around 30,000 lbs and an 11' blade.