• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . .

I respect all of your options

I think you mean "opinions" and there are four pages of them up here already.

There was a certain inevitability to the outcome and I am sorry your optimism was misplaced.

I'm sure folks on here will answer and continue to try and assist you. Just read and try to comprehend what they are saying and act on their advise.

I hope it all goes well as can be expected and, once you get folks involved some pictures are always nice.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Steve.ahlgren85

The results of the crank bearings and the grooving of the crank itself tells me that I have a long road ahead. Will the engine slide out from the transmission, after talking mount bolts out? Thanks for your input. It is GREATLY appreciated.
Steve

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Steve, as mentioned before post some photos of what you're seeing - crank, bearings, oil pump, gears, anything that might be useful to help express an opinion.

You're confusing the transmission and the torque converter. The transmission is mounted into the rear chassis case, the converter bolts to the engine flywheel housing. The engine and converter should be lifted out as a single unit and the converter removed once the whole assembly is on the ground.

If you involve your local Cat dealer all you will end up doing is getting a great big bill. Porbably good-ish on modern stuff but useless on anything as old as your tractor IMHO, and I used to work for a dealer. You will note that they have been wrong big-style once already (about shutting down on low oil pressure to "protect" the engine) so why do you believe they'll be any better going forward...? Remember their labour is charged at somewhere the sunny side of $100/hour....

Last edited:

Steve.ahlgren85

Yes ,I know all too well.
I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how. I feel confident in my ability to pull the engine and do most of the dissassembly ,butthat is as far as It goes.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Don't know your area, but I would be maybe looking around at some of the local quarries or gravel beds to see if they have suggestions on who other than CAT they would recommend as a place to get work done. I may be a bit biased but I would be looking for an outfit where most of the guys working there have grey hair or a lack of any! Nothing against youngsters but some only want to plug a computer in to have it tell them what to fix.

Nige

I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how.
Posting pictures is easy. When you are writing a reply to a post hover your mouse over the second last icon on the menu above the text box. A popup will appear saying "insert image". Click on that popup, select the image file(s) you want to upload, press OK, and Bob's your father's brother .........

I second KSH's recommendations, there is a lot of yellow iron up in the iron range area. Isn't grandpa up in MN somewhere..? I'm sure he'd have some ideas, or if not could recommend you to someone who could help.

kshansen

Occupation
A little show and tell to go with Nige's instructions:

As he said while at the point where you are typing the message click on the icon he mentioned like this:
Click here.jpg

Then a box will open up like this one:
second step.png
If the text says something about add image from URL click on the words "From Computer"

Now you should be able to locate the file for your picture assuming it is save to your computer
or if you have your camera or phone connected to the computer. Once you have located the file
click on the file name and it should now show in the box, the name NOT the actual picture.

Then down at the bottom of the box click on words "Upload file(s)"
This will take you back to the text box and you will see something like this[ATACH]161749[/ATACH]

That tells the forum where to find the picture. Picture will only be visable after you "post" the message.
up load.png

Note: After you upload one picture you can add text then go through the same steps to post one or more additional pictures'

kshansen

Occupation
One more thing a good source of information on how to use this Forum can be found in the "Support" folder.

When at the "HOME PAGE" for HEF click on the "FORUM" tab and scroll down to where you see SUPPORT!
support.jpg

Steve.ahlgren85

Good morning,
I will try to post some pictures.I am finding it difficult to find a long block for my cat. I am wondering if the most economical way to get my machine going again, is to overhaul it .I am finding it hard to find a long block for my serial number cat .Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge and expertise.
Steve

D6c10K

You might be able to buy one of these and just use the short block. I've thought about purchasing one myself and keeping it for just such an emergency.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can tell me if it's practical to strip a 3306 built for a different application down to the long block and build it back with the head, fuel system, manifolds, etc. from a dozer. Head might be a problem if one is pre-combustion chamber and the other direct injection.....or if one is a spacer plate block and the other isn't.
I'd be interested in comments on a repower like that.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&fromsearch=true&words=3306

kshansen

Occupation
Sounds like you have to pull it one way or another so might want to at least get it out of the machine and in a warm place to work on it.

These are not bad engines to work on given a bit of common sense and basic mechanical knowledge. Biggest questions are how bad the crank is and is there any damage to the block or connecting rods and camshaft.

If you decide to rebuild this one or install a different engine or short/long block I would not even think about reusing the oil cooler. They are cheap insurance when compared to the rest of the money it will cost.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Steve.ahlgren85

Unless there has been a catastrophic failure why would you consider a long block?

It is a simple straight forward engine, I believe parts are still readily available and it should cost no more than three or four hundred dollars for the engine manual which is absolutely necessary and should be looked on as an investment . . . even if you employ a mechanic he will need that manual unless he is about sixty and genuinely conversant with the engine in which case he would probably have his own dog eared copy complete with hand written notations and oily fingerprints.

Just my opinion and its probably worth what it cost. (grins)

Cheers.

kshansen

Occupation
Steve,

It might be worth a try to send a private message to "grandpa" he is or was last I knew located in norther Minn. He may be able to point you somewhere to either get parts local or someone who could help in someway.

If you don't know about the "private message" I'll try to explain that the best I can. As it sounds it will be private and go direct to who ever you send it to so you don't have to cross your fingers the person stumbles on to you posting in the forum.

First on the home page for HEF up neat the top click on "Private Messages"

Private.png

Then look in the box that says "MY MESSAGES" click on "NEW MESSAGE"

second click.png

This will open a box where you can enter the "USER NAME" of the person you want to contact. In this case that would be "grandpa" (without the ""'s)
And also to help the person it is going to know what it's about I would fill out something in the "TITLE" box.

user name.png

Then put something in the text box giving a description of what you are working on and need help with at this point.

After that click on the "SUBMIT MESSAGE" box in the lower right corner.

send message.png

I forgot to double check but below the text box there are I believe some options listed one might be to send a copy to yourself among other things.

Just check and see one of the options is "Request a read receipt for this message" this should send to a note to you telling you the message was read by the person you sent it to.

Last edited:

Steve.ahlgren85

I plan to pull out the engine first to see what I have to do. I have been out of commission with a knee replacement. I am hoping that I can find a good mechanic and just overhaul it. Why can't the engine oil cooler just be cleaned up and reused? Upon further inspection, I found a lot of aluminium particles behind the bearings that came through the oil holes in the crank!
Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to pull out the engine?

tctractors

Steve, the engine looks in better Nick than I expected, the crank will most probably be cracked so don't think this rough spot will Buff Out, to remove the engine from a D6C allow about 8 hours, the hydraulic tank and Dash Plate can be lifted out still attached to the engine if you like? although it has to be removed at some point, to rebuild an engine from a total bare block with loads of new parts and doing the head including valve guides takes me around 4 days, but I have done plenty of them and have the tooling to tackle them, you can get all the parts Non O.E. or CAT Classic.
tctractors

p.s. I thought it was a waste of time answering you stud lock pm as I know the engine would be stuffed, on your S/H oil pump thing, I would send it back and get you $$$ refunded as it will be NO USE to you on this gig.

Nige

If I rebuild the engine, won't I need the oil pump?
Why would you even consider installing a used oil pump of unknown quality in an engine that's just cost you major $ to rebuild..? On second thoughts don't answer that ............

Using a new oil pump is the same reason you install a new engine oil cooler on a rebuild - it's called insurance.