• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Tinkerer

Make a habit of always looking at the ground whenever you move from being parked. I always did and saved a mans job and reputation. He had changed the oil in a new D8N I was running and didn't tighten the engine oil pan drain valve. There was a puddle of oil and a barely visible trail of oil under the dozer when I moved it.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Make a habit of always looking at the ground whenever you move from being parked
A couple years ago I was trying to find an operator to run our dozer and was trying 2 guys out. After using both for a week or so 1st guy showed up on a Sunday and worked about 4 hrs. Apparently he blew a hydraulic hose and didn’t know it and ran the tank dry. I called and ask him what happened and he didn’t know there was a problem. I called 2nd guy to let him know dozer was down for a day and told him what happened. He got upset about not being able to work and said “every blankety blank dozer operator knows to look at the ground for oil when you’re backing up”. He got the job.

Steve.ahlgren85

I ran the machine a total of one hour, wasn't running well, no power, blowing black smoke, actually shut down on me twice taking it a mile over to tree ridge removal site. Called Ziegler caterpillar in St Cloud, they sent out a mechanic, we spent most of the afternoon trying to get it started,finally gave up trying that. Last resort, he took the oil filter off,cut it apart, found metal in the filter. He thinks that the pistons are one size too large causing excessive heat, expansion of the pistons, with nowhere to move,causing the engine to fail once again!!They came out today, picked it up, back to St.Cloud. The saga continues!!

Steve.ahlgren85

I am not an expert on technical factors. I noticed the engine was running warm, not hot,warmer than what I thought was normal. I just thought it was normal for new engine, break in procedure. Tech guy said that if you install the wrong size piston in the sleeve, can cause excessive heat in the engine!!

CavinJim

I would think that they'd have started it and ran it for awhile before releasing it to the customer. Maybe not, but it may have prevented an "oops" moment! ("oops" in the sense that they could have caught a mistake before it ever got out of the shop!)

Steve.ahlgren85

That is exactly what I asked the service rep.He said that they ran it for a couple of hours, but no load.They do a what is called a stall test,hold the brake under full power for awhile, said it was running great for them!!

51kw

Another case of Zeigler lawn mower mechanics failing. I wouldn't let them lube my bicycle!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sounds to me they rolled a(or more) liner packing, will distort a sleeve just enough to smoke a hole but will take a bit of time. At least is on their dime this time.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Man oh man... Just more proof that the yellow store is just a warranty shop. Ran good under no load? huh... Put some weight on the engine and the recipe goes south. If you have N/A pistons in a turbo engine bad things happen. Has anybody ever set the injection pump fuel and governor to spec? Wait... don't have yellow do it. They charged me $2400 chasing a worn thrust washer in the governor. Had to send it to my usual pump shop because it still didnt work, first place they look he said. With all the pieces of piston that have been "exhausted" I'd be pulling the turbo down as well.

Steve.ahlgren85

Will have to wait to see what they find after they tear into it again!!First thing the tech checked was fuel pump timing, which they, at the shop,advanced a little. Fuel pump timing was right on .He suspected that they might have advanced it too much which, he said, can cause overheating and eventually an engine failure! Just have to wait to find out .

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sounds like this machine needs to find some grey haired old fart to take over. A 333/3306 Cat is about the simplest engines ever built! Hardest part of rebuilding one of those would be scrapping the old gaskets off. Other than the injector pump the only thing that should be any kind of "high tech" work would be to get the liner projection right!

Need to do a shout-out to Nitelite, with all the things going on in his life he did a much better job on his engine that those supposed experts at that dealer!