• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Hobbytime

I dont remember since this thread has been going for awhile, but did the old engine goto the rebuilder either as a core or for proper matching for the new short block or strictly done by machine serial number? I look at the rebuilder offering up $$ in 2 ways, they are going above and beyond as a good company, or trying to limit liability knowing hey short cutted the rebuild with substandard parts... I have seen guys try and start equipment in the winter using a good amount of ether without blowing the engine, I dont know enough to comment on what the possible cause of this failure is..but as said above its a matter of putting all the pieces together..what is the overall reputation of the engine rebuilder from other customers?

Last edited:

d9gdon

I thought it was a long block. That would have included a new head. If not, that was just a short block.

In that case, if I were Capital I'd want to know if that was the correct rocker assembly before paying for anything. Sounds like they're going above and beyond, without even inspecting the suspect rocker assembly.

Steve.ahlgren85

So the official word from Ziegler caterpillar on the engine failure was caused by the wrong rocker assembly installed for this engine also oil pump not working properly to supply enough oil to lubricate.They are recommending a new oil pump in with the other parts.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I would be interested in their or anyone else's theory on how low oil pump supply caused the top of the piston to fail. Not having the chance to view the bearings or other parts up close makes understanding the claim of low oil pressure or volume causing the failure.

Not recalling if we were ever told what the oil pressure this engine was running with.

I'm sure just about everyone here would like(expect) to see oil pressure in the 50-60 psi range at anything much over low idle but according to Cat the "permissible" hot oil pressure with 30 weight oil at working speeds is only 24 psi.

Attachments

• oil pressure.pdf
    128.8 KB · Views: 9
  • oil pressure.pdf
    128.8 KB · Views: 1

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
May I make a suggestion ? We already lost a valued member because of this thread. It feels more like a TROLL thread.

Reactions: DB2

Hobbytime

May I make a suggestion ? We already lost a valued member because of this thread. It feels more like a TROLL thread.
I dont know if I would blame a thread about a genuine mechanical topic for the actions of a few individuals that cant control emotional outbursts ...the thread is based about an equipment problem..if one feels the need to get personal and nasty..just dont post or block the thread...I found the thread interesting and educational, I am just a hobbiest not a professional mechanic..and it will give someone else in the same predicament insight whether to tackle a job them selves or to send it out to a professional, it shows the downside of how a project could turn out... many people look at a project as an easy fix but dont see what some of the issues that they can run into not from being stupid, but by not doing it daily for a living and knowing when something doesnt look right ..not having the proper rocker assembly ( no fault of the OP) he didnt know this, a seasoned mechanic did...in the end op will have a good working machine ..a bit more cost than estimated, but thats life, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and move on...so no this is not a troll thread..IMHO..:)

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I also agree this thread has been interesting, educational, and a little painful to read at times. I think Steve will get the dozer going and be able to laugh all this off. Sometimes things just don't go as planned.

Truck Shop

I have followed this thread from the start and I must say I have never been to a rodeo like this one. Forty five years as a mechanic with five of it doing automotive machine and
I have heard and read some interesting stories but this one beats them all. My hat is off to every one who tried to help, everyone here had something good to add.

Truck Shop

CavinJim

There are several threads that should be mandatory reading for anyone considering buying anything yellow, heavy, iron, and old--especially Nitelite's and Boone's threads in Trackloaders and this one! I knew that NL and Boone's threads are the most replied threads in TLs (by a mile), but I was almost surprised to find that this thread is the most replied to in dozers! (not counting catch-all's).

Steve's experience give me the willies when I think about my own machines--but then I remember that there's an army of experts here willing to help out and give advice---for free! Yes, Steve's experience could have been different save for a few decisions, but considering that I'm just as much (or more) of an "amateur" as him, I admire his (as my late father would have said) stick-too-it-tiveness and I really have to believe that he's done his best. Keep in mind all those who will learn from this thread in the future--yes, it is valuable!

Steve.ahlgren85

Not yet. Parts are ordered and should be at Ziegler caterpillar in St Cloud next week sometime. They have to free up a tech when one is available. They said that they would let me know when that happens. Capital Exchange is going to cover the costs on the parts.
This is the message that I got from Ziegler, this was also sent over to Capital

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171014-211642.png
    Screenshot_20171014-211642.png
    358 KB · Views: 96

d9gdon

Glad to see that you have a little resolution to the problem. Keep all the paperwork on the rebuild from Ziegler for when you sell the machine, it will add a little value through the warranty to help you recover a little of your expenses.