• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Hobbytime

its too late for this now, but for future projects, take a ton of pictures( easy with digital today) of almost every step you do, so you can see and show others without having to tear down the engine again what you did and how it was done..

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Did you by chance forget to put the idler gear in the oil pump. You should have 2 gears on the oil pump when you install it.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 61

etd66ss

I've read this entire thread (I deserve a medal). I have a D6C 10K and I am dying to find out how this saga ends.

tctractors

I would be reluctant to blow or mess about trying to stuff oil in all sorts of odd spots, just crank the engine over with the oil filter spun off, put a pot under it if it helps you in some way? as I said before with the engine cranked over about 10 rotations with the throttle OFF, oil will pump out (Should pump out) very fast, the oil pump is low set in it's mounting position with a short reach suction basket, the pump plumbing is below the oil level so oil pick-up should not be an issue, the PRV is the Belville washer set-up on the oil pump body, the 2 valves in the filter head could be checked after the filter off test, the springs and plungers are easy to check, on the steel pipe that brings the oil from the side of the cylinder block up to the filter head you will find a plug at the mount point (Near Always?) through this location you can prime or Pre Start system fill if required????

tctractors

Steve.ahlgren85

Just took the oil pump off,checks out putting an electric speed wrench as operating good, pumping oil. Not a fun job, but wanted piece of mind.Will bolt back up,checking rotation. Could the oil cooler possibly be installed backwards,not allowing oil to pass through??Will check oil filter base check valves, I had those out, cleaned up.

Hobbytime

since you dropped the pan. take a consensus if it would be wise to pull a bearing cap or 2 to make sure the bearings havent been scored for lack of oil, it wont cost you anything but some time, if there are any metal bits or flakes you know you have other issues, if they look new then your good to go..

tctractors

Steve, credit to you and your efforts, you must love wasting time and effort, the oil pump picks up oil from the sump, then pumps it out of a side port in the C/Block through an external pipe up to the filter head, I marvel at your Nutty idea's including your ability to waste time effort and money through your total inability with anything made of metal, I could build a 3306 out of a solid block of Steel with a Hacksaw and a hand file in the time you have wasted on this small task, just the other day I built up a 3306DI in 3 days from a new bare cylinder block with nothing in it, it might be worth in future avoiding anything to do with big chunks of Yellow Iron and construction forums as you are well out of your Comfort Zone, with these comments I am being kind and wish you no harm only good things, it would have been cheaper to have bought me an air ticket and sorted it with D.Trump so I could have tackled this job for you.

tctractors.

etd66ss

New
Steve, credit to you and your efforts, you must love wasting time and effort, the oil pump picks up oil from the sump, then pumps it out of a side port in the C/Block through an external pipe up to the filter head, I marvel at your Nutty idea's including your ability to waste time effort and money through your total inability with anything made of metal, I could build a 3306 out of a solid block of Steel with a Hacksaw and a hand file in the time you have wasted on this small task, just the other day I built up a 3306DI in 3 days from a new bare cylinder block with nothing in it, it might be worth in future avoiding anything to do with big chunks of Yellow Iron and construction forums as you are well out of your Comfort Zone, with these comments I am being kind and wish you no harm only good things, it would have been cheaper to have bought me an air ticket and sorted it with D.Trump so I could have tackled this job for you.

tctractors.

What if he didn't want to continue cranking the "dry" engine to see if the oil pump worked? I guess also it's his time to "waste". Every time I get a new machine I "waste" my time on them so I can learn. I always have to laugh when internet experts tell you you suck and someone else should do it, instead of them just not bothering with the thread...

51kw

Tc just said what we all feel. Steve has proven many times thru this that he has no clue what he is doing. Others that do know what is going on tell him what to do and he continues to not listen. I am wondering how warranty is being affected with all this dry cranking? If there is any warranty at all.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
What if he didn't want to continue cranking the "dry" engine to see if the oil pump worked? I guess also it's his time to "waste". Every time I get a new machine I "waste" my time on them so I can learn. I always have to laugh when internet experts tell you you suck and someone else should do it, instead of them just not bothering with the thread...

I'll stat with the comment about "internet experts". I think that most of the replies Steve has been getting, from back on Nov. 16, 2016, have been from people who have been working on these same engines since the 1960's! I'm some what of a late comer in that regard as I probably worked on my first D333 or 3306 in the mid 1970's. And just take a look at the number of posts these people have had on this forum, most are well over 1,000. And if one took the time to read some of the other posts by these people you would see they are in no way what some would call "trolls"!

As for cranking a "dry engine" no one has suggested he crank it more than a few seconds total, TC for one said 10 turns of the crank or less with fuel in OFF position, if we're are to believe the poster this engine was allowed to run for anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds with no oil pressure. Even assuming it never ran at no more than say 500 rpm idle speed that would mean it RAN turning the crank under partial load from the firing of the cylinders 80 to 160 revolutions so the chance turning it 10 more under no load is going to do any damage that was not already done is next to none!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I could build a 3306 out of a solid block of Steel with a Hacksaw and a hand file in the time you have wasted on this small task, just the other day I built up a 3306DI in 3 days from a new bare cylinder block with nothing in it,
tctractors.

tc, while I would be the first to agree you have more abilities than just about any others here I think you are forgetting one major thing here. You forgot all the empty bear cans you would have needed to melt down to make the pistons! Just emptying them would have added a couple days to the project:p

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

The 'internet experts" whom have spent countless hours helping on this post should have been praised, not condemned. From the beginning they have offered advice that was sound. I do admire the OPs continual optimism and the stick-to-it-ness to get this far. The experts here have continued to offer sound advice even when they were frustrated when their sound advice was countered with, "I might do this instead." Sometimes it makes a expert cringe when they read some of the things us amateurs do. Nobody wants to see a expensive rebuilt engine fail.

tctractors

Well I might be a Troll or an Internet Expert as Mr etd66ss has tagged me, but this Steve is back where he started Months ago and loads of $$$ spent, hugging an oil pump out of an engine that " Ain't No Good " as for offering advise to this man it's a waste of time as he does the total opposite, words totally fail me how anyone can make headway in this World being this Bazaar, I hope the engine runs and never stops, I will stop posting on this site as it has left me feeling like something out of a Film with a Nest in it.

Blood and Sand, tctractors

Hobbytime

Well I might be a Troll or an Internet Expert as Mr etd66ss has tagged me, but this Steve is back where he started Months ago and loads of $$$ spent, hugging an oil pump out of an engine that " Ain't No Good " as for offering advise to this man it's a waste of time as he does the total opposite, words totally fail me how anyone can make headway in this World being this Bazaar, I hope the engine runs and never stops, I will stop posting on this site as it has left me feeling like something out of a Film with a Nest in it.

Blood and Sand, tctractors
well they say an education costs...this time around its whatever time and $$ he put into the rebuild, it reminds me of a friend that would ask for advice and keep asking new people till he got an answer he liked, even though the other dozen people all gave the same answer he didnt like, as you can guess, he had many expensive failures, but he did learn after each one and didnt make the same mistake again, believe me there were plenty others(mistakes)on the list......

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
HOBBY do you work in my fuel shop?? I got a guy like that.. except he NEVER LEARNS from the mistakes and does the SAME THING over & over again.. I guess that's why he got fired last week..
15 years to late, if you ask anyone working there..
I have no words about this thread that I haven't expressed after the 1st or 2nd page of the start of this thread.. & here we are 19 pages, 378 posts, a year in, & still the same problem different engine. I called it from the git-go..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hansen, you and I are around the same time line, I can still remember having to rebuild my first Detroit rebuild when I failed to assemble it right, 1975. Was a expensive lesson where I bought the replacement crank and two rods. Just a 6L71 but a a$$ biter in every sense. I was on chargeable hours(flat rate) those days.