• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
PROVIDED it does read, I still suggest setting up a air powered oiler. You do not want to send air into the oil rifling just the oil. I use around two to three quarts in my old air tank, fitting at bottom when stand it up feeds oil to engine air on top. Use a standard cheap 90 degree off on valve to control. Feed a minute or so slowly then shut it off and shake the tank, do that until minimal oil in tank and gauge has shown a pressure on machine.

oarwhat

Lots of fancy ideas! see if your oil filter has a check valve in it maybe. I'd pull the oil pressure sensor, take a quart bottle of oil with a gear lube spout on it, stuff the spout into the sensor hole and stab a little hole in the bottom of the oil bottle, put the blow gun in there and give it a little puff until it kinda rounds out nicely.

It can't get any easier than this.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I still say if it ran for 10 seconds even a bone dry pump should have picked up it's prime if the oil level was evn close to the full mark on the dipstick! This is especially more true if the engine was cranked over for a bit to get the fuel system bled!

But if we are going to keep trying to force feed this engine oil how about this off the wall idea? Do yo have another running machine handy? Pull the oil sender out of the running one and hook a hose from that one over to this Cat preferably to a spare point in the oil galley of the Cat and start the other machine. If you want to be real sure pull the valve cover off the Cat and watch for oil coming out around the rocker arms.

Just don't let it sit there for half an hour, you don't want the oil level to get too low in the supply machine.

Hard to know for sure at this distance but from what I'm reading I'm under the idea something is left out of the engine, like an oil galley plug or someone plugged off something and forgot to remove it when installing something like an oil cooler. Or maybe installed a check valve backwards. Like I said hard to know from over here.

Steve.ahlgren85

I like the idea about hooking up to another engine!Would a tractor engine work fine?How much oil do I dare transfer from the tractor?Your second thought about the oil filter base plugs,I did remove them, flushed them out with soap and water, maybe installed wrong. Don't think so though!I really appreciate your knowledge!Thanks

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I've been following this thread and I really like Steves outlook on things, seems like a postive type of guy. Me being a realist though I think it might be time to get a good local diesel mechsnic out for the startup. I wouldn't think he had to be a dozer tech just a good diesel tech. Back to the oil priming the Case I have has a switch you can hold until the engine builds oil pressure then release it to fire. I only use it if it's been sitting awhile or really cold outside.
I really hope you get this mess lined out and the dozer operating again. Goodluck

Hobbytime

I've been following this thread and I really like Steves outlook on things, seems like a postive type of guy. Me being a realist though I think it might be time to get a good local diesel mechsnic out for the startup. I wouldn't think he had to be a dozer tech just a good diesel tech. Back to the oil priming the Case I have has a switch you can hold until the engine builds oil pressure then release it to fire. I only use it if it's been sitting awhile or really cold outside.
I really hope you get this mess lined out and the dozer operating again. Goodluck

X2 on getting a knowledgeable mechanic to take a looksie, something aint right.. all my equipment even after oil changes shows pressure on the oil gauges within a few seconds of start up, it would be a shame to trash the bearings or worse at this point over a possible simple mistake, the $$ spent on a mechanic to take a hands on look may be your best move..

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Hobbytime I've got a Kubota tractor that takes about 5-10 seconds to show oil pressure and when it's freezing temps seems like 20 seconds. Scares the heck out of me everytime. It's my second one and they have both done this. Worse is the skid steer, no gauge just hope the light goes out.

Hobbytime

Hobbytime I've got a Kubota tractor that takes about 5-10 seconds to show oil pressure and when it's freezing temps seems like 20 seconds. Scares the heck out of me everytime. It's my second one and they have both done this. Worse is the skid steer, no gauge just hope the light goes out.
my backhoe is like that sorta, it shows the gauge move at startup 5 to 10psi and then gets to 55+ after about 2o or so seconds, but at startup the needle does move to show something..but again it has done that for years, so I know its normal for that machine, but on a fresh rebuild and not knowing is more than scary..

Steve.ahlgren85

Probably best to have someone else look at it. I just like to try everything I can myself first. I did replace the oil cooler. Is it possible that it's installed backwards,not allowing oil to pass through?I was unsure about which way to install it, didn't look like it made a difference?Just wondering!

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I'm with you on always wanting to do things myself, I always feel a little defeated if I can't fix it. Might be best to let someone take a look with this kind of time and money on the line though.
I would test that gauge before anything else though. At a minimum you could unhook the line from it and crank it with the fuel off for 10-15 seconds to see if oil comes out the line. Might do this several times. I wouldn't crank it too long at once as you could burn the starter up.

tctractors

Boy it's painful reading, the 3306 will pick up oil in seconds from new,a simple thing to do to determine where you go with this is, remove the oil filter and crank the engine over with the throttle in the stop position, if there is NO oil pumping out within 10 rotations something is missing, probably the oil pump?
tctractors

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Steve did you pour any oil in the filter before you put it on? If not I guess you could see if the oil at least made it to the filter. I know some people say to never prefill a filter but I always do. Probably does more harm than good as most engines pick up in seconds as tctractors said.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Boy it's painful reading, the 3306 will pick up oil in seconds from new,a simple thing to do to determine where you go with this is, remove the oil filter and crank the engine over with the throttle in the stop position, if there is NO oil pumping out within 10 rotations something is missing, probably the oil pump?
tctractors
Another good idea! If you don't want to make a mess just set a tin of some kind under the filter head. If no oil coming some thing real basic is wrong! Did someone put a plug in the suction port of the pump and it never got taken out, don't laugh things like that have happened!

Steve.ahlgren85

I will try cranking the engine a few turns without the filter in, a little scary though. Yes,I first started wlith oil filter full of oil. If I see oil coming from filter base, should mean that pump is pumping oil,correct?I don't want to take the pan off unless I have to !Thanks for the great suggestions!

Steve.ahlgren85

I am a little sceptical about adding oil with air pressure. I am concerned about blowing out the engine seals, if too much air pressure is added. Is that possible?

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Not likely to blow out engine seals, if you put oil through a small hole the restriction and viscosity will kill most of the pressure, think big engine oil pumps are circulating oil at 15+ gpm If you take 10 seconds to move a gallon, you're still not up to the pump's level. The last time I moved a gallon in less than 10 seconds it was because I drove over a full oil jug.