• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6C 10k questions

RKO

You can look at a couple things on the machine and tell it is a later serial number machine.The Hydraulic pump is a Victors vane type and the cartridge can bought at any good Hydr. Shop.
Just make sure toinstalll cartridge the right way.
I just got one from Heavy Quip. in Kansas City I'll Have to look to see what it cost.
The Dive shaft for the pump is Cat only, But you can find it aftermarket also.

Construct'o
I have also used 30W Motor oil in all the D6C/D I have had good luck . I use 10W oil in the Hydr. system with good luck. I was told many years ago to use what ever oil you are using in the motor in the rest of the machine.
I been using 20W oil in the newer D6's and have had good luck.
I just don't want to have to carry 20 different oils with me.

Last edited:

oilerman

We were told to run straight 10w in the tranny. Come to think of it im not sure what is in the hydralic system but I did add some light weight hydralic oil. I also run 15w-40 in the engine.

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
Thanks for the replys well i changed the filters on her on friday and that seemed to help some what now it just seems that when they are under a load they do not want to raise up as fast so could be bypassing in the lift cylinders and yes they do leak a little around the seal but not very much.

I am needing some input on the best way to extract broken bolts the front bottom roller on the left side has been missing since i got the machine the bolts are broken to where i can not weld anything to them to extract i am thinking drilling a hole threw them and using a extractor but i been told you can cut a hole in the side of the rail to get the broken piece out all four bolts are broken.

i need to build a different style limb riser because this one sucks quiet frankly. i broke my muffler this weekends and she is probly just going to get a straight pipe.

also does anybody have some ideas for tree knockers i want to make it a little easier on the machine. i had a tree i was trying to push out not very big but i tryed cutting the ruts pushed from every corner this thing would not come out i could not dig it out do to ground conditions being to wet under top layer so i gave up later that day i had to use my d3c in the area so i said what the hay lets give it a try sure enough i raised up on it with my tree pusher and over it went i could not believe this. i did clear some fence rows with the 6 and wow i made some tracks i love it now i just need to get in there with my root rake and clean it up a little.

thanks again for the help

Catchad81

Thanks for the replys well i changed the filters on her on friday and that seemed to help some what now it just seems that when they are under a load they do not want to raise up as fast so could be bypassing in the lift cylinders and yes they do leak a little around the seal but not very much.

I am needing some input on the best way to extract broken bolts the front bottom roller on the left side has been missing since i got the machine the bolts are broken to where i can not weld anything to them to extract i am thinking drilling a hole threw them and using a extractor but i been told you can cut a hole in the side of the rail to get the broken piece out all four bolts are broken.

i need to build a different style limb riser because this one sucks quiet frankly. i broke my muffler this weekends and she is probly just going to get a straight pipe.

also does anybody have some ideas for tree knockers i want to make it a little easier on the machine. i had a tree i was trying to push out not very big but i tryed cutting the ruts pushed from every corner this thing would not come out i could not dig it out do to ground conditions being to wet under top layer so i gave up later that day i had to use my d3c in the area so i said what the hay lets give it a try sure enough i raised up on it with my tree pusher and over it went i could not believe this. i did clear some fence rows with the 6 and wow i made some tracks i love it now i just need to get in there with my root rake and clean it up a little.

thanks again for the help

Do you ever do anything else to improve your hyd. power problem? My D6C does the same thing, but will pull the motor power down if the blade is heavily loaded.

tctractors

On your broken bolts drama, I do plenty of this sort of work and find it faster to remove the track frame and tip the frame over, then I set to the task by drilling a hole straight through the broken bolt about 1/4" dia,then its out with the gas cutting set and a watering can, then I blow out the bolt with the torch splashing on the water to get the last remnants of the bolt out with the torch, I have done a complete frame full in a morning, this also gives you the chance to check the Equalizer bar mounts and condition, allow around the day to whip off and on the blade, split and fit the track, pop the frame and refit after the bolts are sorted.
tctractors

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
I have another question about how to adjust the steering clutches they do not seem to be releasing all the way is this adjusted under the fuel tank?

D6c10K

Here's scans of the adjustment procedure for the steering clutches & brakes...I'd start with those two things. Hopefully that fixes it for you, I've been chasing the same problem of clutches not completely releasing for some time. Mine has to do with a low oil pressure problem and it's been difficult to find what the problem(s) are.
Narrowed it down to about four things: steering clutch valve, transmission relief valve, sequence relief valve, or steering clutch pistons....but still have a few things to check.

(Brake adjustment bolts are under two small covers under the fuel tank....one on each side)

View attachment Cat0001.pdf

View attachment Cat0002.pdf

Last edited:

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
No I sure didn't I need to get one put to gather just been busy. You got some ideas??

Newburg 653

Occupation
Police Officer, Operator, Mechanic, Welder, Truck
Dad purchased a used one off of a D I will be mounting as soon as we can finish the job its on and get it home. I will take some pics for ya if ya'd like if we ever get it home that is.

jwallaced6r

thank you guys for all the help give me some time and i will have some more questions.

Raise the blade all the way up and hold it. Then when you let the handle go the blade may drop slightly on one side indicating oil bypassing internally in blade lift cylinder. In my old d6c I run cat TDTO 30w in the tranny and cat 10w hydraulic oil in hydraulics. Works just fine. The problem I found with running engine oil in hydraulics is it tends to foam pretty bad