• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6C 10k questions

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
hello i figured i would start my own thread due to i did not want to hi jack the other thread. i have tried using the search but i have not yet figured out how to uses this forums search button what i have is a D6C 10k shes a little ruff but i have a few question about her due to this is the largest dozer i have owned.

so to start off i am having trouble with my hydraulics they still work but end up being very slow raising up. i have made sure that i have the right amount of hydraulic fluid. when i first start using it it raises really fast but once it warms up the hydraulics start running really slow that if i don't give it some throttle it will not move barely. but it still lowers really fast. Any ideas of what my problem maybe i am hoping i just need to change the filters but have not had a chance to do it yet

oh and anther thing is i think my fuel supply pump is going out because there is diesel coming out of the weep hole i just found this after i put my new inline fuel filter and hose on. i used a filter for a fuel tank with a sediment bowl on it and a 10 micro filter and i ran it all weekend no problems. i reduced the filter head from 1" to 3/8". but there is a lot of junk in the tank. thanks every body for the help.

heres a couple pics of it with the family
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/rollinsmoke05/100_1674.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/rollinsmoke05/100_1672.jpg

DPete

Sounds like the pump cartrige has seen its day, remember to lower all raised equipment.

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
10-4 that was unsafe normally i would lower the blade just a spur of the moment picture. where is the pump located at and about what would it cost to replace the pump thanks for the reply

D6c10K

If it's like mine the fuel pump gear is on the front of the fuel pump. May just be bad seals, but bushing wear in the pump may also be a problem. You have to pull the fuel pump to change the seals. Take the front cover off to pull the drive gear so the pump will come out. When putting the pump back on it will have to be retimed (no key on pump drive gear). The timing is set by a timing pin on the pump and a bolt hole in the flywheel. There's a whole procedure in the manual to tell how to do it. It's not a horrible job, but has to be done right.

The hyd pump is at the left rear side of the engine...hyd pump and trans pump drive off the same area.

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
I am not sure what kind of fliud they had in it but I put hydraulic fluid in it what should I used. For the tranny I used 30wt in it. What would it cost to get Hyd pump rebuilt also how hard is it to get out thanks for the reply

D6c10K

Shouldn't be hard to get out since it's mounted along the side and pretty open to get at. To buy one from Cat won't be cheap...there are several different pumps listed in the book...price online from Cat ran from 800-$1500. I'd bet you can get one cheaper aftermarket, or better yet you might find one used from a dismantled machine.
I might check hyd pressure from pump before tearing it apart (cold & hot)...

D6c10K

Tranny fluid is 30w, but not 30w engine oil....it's 30w Trans/Drivetrain oil.
My book lists the hyd oil as 10w Hyd oil....I've been using Case IH HyTran

D6c10K

Here's a scan of the operational checklist...

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,806
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,786

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Transmission i have always used 30W motor oil,but now they say to use the 30W special transmisson oil Cat sells,more addtives for disk faces in the transmisson.I have a D6H that has over 18,000 hour using 30w motor oil and still going,never touched.Did go too the other this time when i rebuilt the convertor.

Also used 10W motor oil in the hydraulic,but also started using Cat new hydraulic also.18k on the hydraulic pump also.You use to be able too rebuild the hydraulic pump with new bushings and waffle seals.I would just replace with a classic reman.Save yourself a lot of gruff.

Fuel injection pump needs rebuild would be my guess.Good luck!

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
ok so which is it because i did do some research on the forum and alot of people are using rotella 30wt motor oil or 15w 40 motor oil as well but i would like to know for a fact with to use before i put any more hours on it with possibly the wrong oil in it. thanks for the replys its alot of help.

D6c10K

I think Cat has updated what they recommend over the years. Currently they say use TDTO-30 in trans, but my manual for a 10k (printed in '82) lists CD (engine) oil) metting the TO-2 spec. I'm not sure the "CD" spec is even still in use for engine oil. I'd be concerned that the current engine oils would be to slippery for trans clutches.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,828
Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/
http://www.acmoc.org/bb/

You might also want to register on these forums as there is a lot of really good information you can get from the members on both of them. The D6C is one of the best built and well liked tractors that Cat produced and still command good prices. In addition to many other parts souces.. you might want to look up American Independent, a member here, Trevor De Andro is the contact and they were able to help my employer find parts they needed. Tell him Alan Hynes sent you.....
Link to their website
http://americanindependentinc.com/

Take good enough care of that Cat and the little man will be running it for you someday! Nice tractor too.
Hope this helps, welcome aboard!

Alan

Last edited:

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
thank you guys for all the help give me some time and i will have some more questions.

tctractors

In the hydraulic tank you will find 2 filters 1 on top of another, the bottom 1 is often not changed by mechanic's lacking information??? or checking things out.

Old Magnet

Need the engine arrangement & tractor s/n to tell if it's early (scroll) or late (sleeve metering) as they use different fuel transfer and injection pumps.

Slow rise and fast fall could also indicate internal seal leakage in the blade cylinders.

DPete

I'm going to be dragging an old D6C out of the barn on my wifes inherited cattle ranch this weekend. They have had it since new, has not run for 5 years. Can't have many hours on it, looks straight, direct drive though, dozer/drawbar, no rops 74A2478. Watch for pics next week in "old iron" under barn find. Going to clean her up for Ritchie Bros.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
thank you guys for all the help give me some time and i will have some more questions.
One thing about the blade cylinders.Do they leak down at all if so is it slow are fast?Does fluid run down the rams? The blade was raised in the photo but for how long? The pump and most parts for a D6C can be bought after market.