• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D65e-6 cracked rear main case

ATCme

I been having issues with oil leaking into my right final drive. We have replaced seals but recently found the culprit. A crack. I need to know if the case is cast steel or cast iron?

Or better yet am i wasting time and money?

ATCme

Would if i could. I'm currently 900km away from it. I'm also not paying my mechanic to take pictures.

The crack is down near the dipstick. someone had Jb welded it in the past so just to get it up and running again he redid it.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Possibly paying your mechanic to take some GOOD pictures would be a decent investment.

Something caused the crack. Even catastrophic failures can be fixed given the time and knowledge.

People on here can help or guide you.

Your call.

Cheers.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Biggest issue welding the case is not so much flexing re-break but oil in the weld causing lack of fusion. Cast steel more than likely as straight cast iron has not been done in awhile.

ATCme

The JB weld repair he said looked old. It held together for awhile. Some suggested instead of redoing the JB i overfill the final since it runs the same oil as the rear case. I wasn't to comfortable with that idea. The only way i can see it getting fixed properly is to drop the track and final to weld it from the outside.

The cause may be the winch. Four of the six bolts holding it on were loose and the driveshaft was broken when i got it. The two lower studs were the only tight ones.

Attachments

• IMG_5977.JPG
    IMG_5977.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Quite possibly a cause to both failures?, shaft and crack was overloading the winch. I would go the weld route, just take your time and preheat with a cutting torch prior to the welding one to burn off any more oil and two to preheat the cast.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Years ago had a broken trans housing in a 966 ,called cat they knew a guy that could fix it. He would drill and pin inter locking holes . They have videos online

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We used to call that pin and peen. I knew a few that would overlay weld after knowing the crack was tight.

StanRUS

We used to call that pin and peen. I knew a few that would overlay weld after knowing the crack was tight.
Um? Pin with tapered threads screws, weld and peen (powered peening preferred); bit different from lock and stitch. Tapered threaded square head screws are available thought Goodson or most industrial supply outfits. I use tapered screws to repair Cat cyl block that crack from cavitation corrosion in combo with Nickel 55 stick rods.