• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6 R transmission faults

chadg

I have a 2006 d6 r series 2 that I purchased with some transmission issues. I replaced a solenoid in the trans that was giving me some problems and thought I had it fixed but the trans light has been coming on again and throwing the code 113.0673.02 I looked this up and it looks like a speed sensor code. The speed sensors were replaced by by caterpillar and the internal wiring harness was also replaced. Can someone give me some tips for troubleshooting this. Which speed sensor is this? what wires going into the transmission runs this sensor and can it be checked with ohm meter. Also which wires run this sensor that come out of the cpu and can they be checked with ohm meter or can I bypass the wiring harness and hook up to the transmission harness to see if the fault is from the cpu to the transmission harness?Is their any other wiring faults that can cause this code to show up. The transmission is working fine besides this fault showing up but I am afraid to run it because I do not want to tear something up. Any help would be appreciated.

chadg

I got my click box made and it worked for clearing codes and seemed to work like it was suppose to but I could not get the trans to calibrate or go to the submodes 762 (I think don't have paperwork here) for checking the speed sensor. I got to mode 7 then entered the submode and it would go up to 40 then start back over at 22 I believe. when trying to calibrate the clutch fills I had it in mode 40 with 000--- across the screen but could not get it to try to perform the calibration. any ideas?

chadg

I had got it from someone else. On the stuff you sent me I could go into the first mode which is mode 7 for the transmission then when going into the submode it would start at 22 and count up to submode 40 then it would kick me back down to 22 shouldn't it count all the way up to 762 so I could see if the speed sensors are working? I tried the recalibration just to see if I could get it to work and it did not.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
OK, now I've got my head in gear ....... You need to be clear on the terminology when it comes to Troubleshooting & Testing/Calibration. There are Modes and there are Submodes. For your D6R Series II they are the following: -

Mode 6 - Submodes 1 thru 9 - Steering & Braking Calibration
Mode 7 - Submodes 20-22, 31-35, & 40 - Transmission Calibration
Mode 8 - (no submodes) - Component Data Display.

For your issue of a CID 0673 Speed Sensor Fault you first need to go to Mode 8.
When you get to Mode 8 stop, and then use the +/- (aka Clear) switch of the Click Box until you reach the component reference 673.
Operate the machine in first gear. There should be a numerical value in the display which increases with ground speed.
Shift to second gear. If the wires on the sensors have been exchanged, the value that is displayed will go to zero.

If using the above procedure you find that the sensor wiring has been incorrectly connected go to the document I sent you and follow the procedure to correct the wiring that is shown there.

Nige

Jee whizz,there is some technical stuff with these modern tractors
And all because some numbnuts possibly crossed 2 wiring connectors when he was assembling a component. TBH you'd think the connectors would be designed in such a way that it would be impossible, maybe with a male & a female connector on the machine harness and the same on the transmission harness instead of 2 males on one harness and 2 females on the other.

Nige

I just realised that the Troubleshooting Procedure for the CID 0673 Diagnostic Code was written around an earlier Series I tractor and for some unfathomable reason when the Series II came out the factory changed the Mode references.

For a D6R Series I the Modes are 5, 6, & 7.
For a D6R Series II the Modes are 6, 7, & 8.