1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G Where to drain antifreeze with counterweight?

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by D3DaveC, Apr 26, 2012.

1. D3DaveC

D3DaveC Well-Known Member

I am going to change the thermostat on my 2005 Cat D5G but when I went under the front of it to take off the plate to access the drain I saw that the front weight covers the access plate. My D4G didn't have this weight and it was no problem to drain the antifreeze. Do I have to take off a heater hose on the side of the engine? Might get messy this way. Also when I installed a circulating heater on my D4G I took a plug out of the block near the back on the left side. No problem. On this D5G I noticed there is something attached to this different type of plug and a wire connected to it. I looked in the parts book but could not find this thing. Anyone know what this is? D5G has RKG prefex. Thanks

2. D3DaveC

Got it done. Closed the heater hose valve on the left side, took off the heater hose, installed another hose then opened the valve to drain it to a pail.

3. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I was thinking about this and doesn't the D5G's have a spout at the bottom of the radiator?

4. D3DaveC

Yes there is a spout with about 12 inches of hose attached. I was thinking of using a piece of pipe to slide into the end of the hose and to slide another hose onto that and maybe use the oil drain door but since I only needed to drain enough to get under the thermostat I used the heater hose.