• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5B Steering Action

Ferdinand

I've been running a older D5B with powershift transmission and have a question regarding the expected steering response.
If I'm not carrying a load on the blade, the steering levers seem to do nothing. The dozer won't start to change direction
until the lever is so far back that I'm applying the brake. Happens in all forward / backward gears. If I'm moving up a
steeper hill or have the blade on the ground the steering clutches work as they should and the dozer turns in proportion to
how much the steering lever is pulled back.

Is this the correct behavior? The user manual, like so many things Cat, is totally vague about how the steering should
work when the clutches are adjusted correctly and within wear specs.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It sounds like it is working fine. When you pull a clutch in on level easy going ground with no load it takes less effort for the coasting track to roll straight ahead than fight the friction to slide to turn. I assume it turns just fine when pushing. Hope this makes sense.

On your other comment the steering clutch should be either in or out using a steady pull to release it and a prompt return to engage again. Do not let go and let it snap. They are not designed to be slipped to control your amount of turn. To stay on desired course completely disengage and engage more than once as ncessary. The newer hydostat machines are a completely diferent animal.

Ferdinand

Makes perfect sense. I neglected to take into account that the tracks need to slide sideways over the ground to accomplish a turn. With only one track being driven and no load, there isn't enough backpressure to overcome the track's ground friction. Works exactly as it should when pushing. Never having owned a track machine I wasn't sure how it should behave. Thanks!