• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Curb and Gutter Machines

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Seems to me there are two macro categories of curb-and-gutter machines -- those with subgrade trimmers and those without. Lots of sizes and variations within those categories. The Leeboy is the biggest of the trimmerless machines.

Here's a story about what's available in the curb-and-gutter market that gets into more detail about the capabilities of machines

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA495887.html?industryid=23401

L

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have another job coming up with about 4200LF. We should be getting the curbing contractor in next week to set string line. I will get some more pics when we pour.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Well, the guys started at 6AM this morning and it is 10AM now with 75% of the job already poured. Pretty neat stuff.

Pic #1 - Starting the pour after they skipped over an inlet box.
#2 - The auger head in front of the mold. This is run automatically from the string line guide.
#3 - Conveyor for the concrete to dump into the hopper.

Attachments

• PA170357 (Small).JPG
    PA170357 (Small).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,388
  • PA170358 (Small).JPG
    PA170358 (Small).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,279
  • PA170359 (Small).JPG
    PA170359 (Small).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 2,311

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The finished product.

Attachments

• PA170356 (Small).JPG
    PA170356 (Small).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,265
  • PA170360 (Small).JPG
    PA170360 (Small).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 2,207

dumptrucker

You don't see much concrete curbing in our area. They mostly use granite curbing around here. Stands up the the plows real well.
Have to admit the concrete does look nice though.

T&SCONCRETE

Curb & Gutter In Minnesota

MACHINE.jpg
We have a 5 man crew, operator, chuteman, and 3 finishers behind the machine.

MACHINE1.jpg
:pointhead nice clean first pour of the year..

MACHINE2.jpg

This is a 1988 gomaco 3300 GT, we are getting more into curb & gutter now then ever, we can average about 3k lf of curb & gutter a day , with this trim and pour machine. Most jobs around here average from 1000lf to 30,000 lf per job, and there is alot of competetion in this area..:Banghead

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums T&SCONCRETE! :drinkup

ConstSite

Occupation
Construction
Welcome T&S CONCRETE! What part of Minnesota are you in? You are correct about the competetion in curb/gutter, but I hear that there are 2 or 3 curb contractors not returning for 2008 (from around the Twin City area).

- Christopher

T&SCONCRETE

Curb & Gutter In Minnesota

I'm Not Sure Who's All Not Returning For The 2008 Season In The Minneapolis Area, There Are Alot Of Curb Machines In That Area. We Are Located In The West Central Mn Area, Benson Minnesota. On Most Jobs We Are Bidding Against 4-6 Rivals Depending On Where We Travel To. Gets Pretty Monotanous At Times When Your Tryin To Make Money And Keep Any Rework Down When You Have So Much Competition.

wattson

It is good to see other make of slipform machines in operation. Around my area (pennsylvania) Power Curber is pretty much the machine of choice .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Welcome to the Forums Wattson. Mr Country Boy will be along shortly to give you the proper HEF welcome.

Most of the curb and gutter contractors around my parts use either Gomaco or Miller Formless. I don't believe I have seen a Power Curber in action.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums wattson! :drinkup

wattson

Thanks for the welcome. Mostly around my area,there is a lot of smaller jobs such as mall plazas, housing plans, and little add on projects.3000 feet or less . For the larger scale jobs, Gomacos and Millers are usually used. Mainly the General contractor that has the whole job does this in house. Not too many sub-contractors on these large scale, state /federal funded jobs.Thanks again for the welcome

wattson

As I have been running the 5700b Power Curber for some time(8 years plus) I am trying to do this for myself. Finding a good machine to start out with is a little more harder than I thought. Money being an issue for start up. Just have to watch where the money goes.

WestConstInc

Leeboy Curb Machine

New here, but was looking at the LeeBoy Curb and gutter machine. What are the cons about it? It seems like a good machine for small jobs and parking lots. I dont here a lot about the small machines, seems like everyone has a large gomaco or miller around here (WI). Thanks

Antique Homes

Interest

I love to find out the cost of the kerb and gutter machine and if there is a smaller version. Or is there any smaller machine, same design, you can recommend

Geoquip

Hi,I'm new here,very interested in starting the slip forming business here in Trinidad,there's nothing like that here.I am aiming exclusively at the highway divider configuration,as I think it can be very lucritive here. I have contacted a few manufactures for good used machines,but they insist that it would cost me over 100k for a suitable ready to work used machine and training.

Can someone recommend where I can get a good dedicated efficient set up to carry out this task.I am actually ready to purchase a machine and recieve training for less than 100k?

All my prospective jobs would be mostly straight, level gently curving highway,there must be something for me out there for less than 100k..

Please help,itching to go!!!

curb guy

geoquip, having been in the curb business for 20+ years myself, my father started the business around 1963, I will tell you do not settle for one of those "toy" curb machines. Gomaco, power curber and miller formless all make fine machines. I have been running Miller formless machines for over 20 years and can say that they are the top of the line.the small machines are just too light and flimsy. If you're serious and, I mean serious about getting into the curb business you have to have a machine that will handle it. The small machines do look attractive if you don't know what you're looking at (no offense). We had been hand forming our curb until around 1990, then I ,like you started looking at machines. Trust me when I tell you that I looked at ALL of them. I found the miller formless was far superior to anything on the market. The people there are top notch and very helpful. If you contact them they can help you track down a good used machine. Anything I can help you with let ne know. Good luck.

Geoquip

geoquip, having been in the curb business for 20+ years myself, my father started the business around 1963, I will tell you do not settle for one of those "toy" curb machines. Gomaco, power curber and miller formless all make fine machines. I have been running Miller formless machines for over 20 years and can say that they are the top of the line.the small machines are just too light and flimsy. If you're serious and, I mean serious about getting into the curb business you have to have a machine that will handle it. The small machines do look attractive if you don't know what you're looking at (no offense). We had been hand forming our curb until around 1990, then I ,like you started looking at machines. Trust me when I tell you that I looked at ALL of them. I found the miller formless was far superior to anything on the market. The people there are top notch and very helpful. If you contact them they can help you track down a good used machine. Anything I can help you with let ne know. Good luck.

Hey bro,thanks for your reply,yeh I'm very serious and ready for training and to purchase,those machines that you mentioned are exactly what I'm looking for,do you think I can get a good ready to work efficient one for less than 100k?Also am I wrong in thinking that this could make a fortune doing barriers??