• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cummins NH 220 engine timing

tctractors

Well Randy, we always find out the hard way eh' the Holms Cosset turbo I spoke of is probably better known now as Holset, the turbo's on Komatsu machinery are well known for being a pain, the 155 tractor runs a Komatsu built turbo this being 1 of the very few made by them, its cost of replacement is in the £0'000s making grown men cry, the 220 engine is now a costly engine to rebuild also a scarce banger now in the U.K. I must say I am impressed with the service you have been metered out with via the Turbo shop, how about a few picks of the tractor?

Randy88

Never gave it a thought to post pictures of it, I'll see what I can do, right now it got pushed into the back corner of one of my sheds to wait for parts to show up again, my injector guy is looking them over again before I put them back in, they should be done by the end of next week, maybe if I live long enough we can some work done yet this fall with the machine, without problems.

arduece

good info here. i need to do the same to the D65 i just purchased. ( valves and injectors). im also looking for a manual for for my machine. i need to pull the injector pump and have rebuilt. it leaks everywhere.

Randy88

Which engine is in your D65 arduece? If its an older one, you also need to know about top stop injectors, non top stop injectors and also how many different cam shafts were offered in the older engines, it helps to determine which engine timing procedure you use, something I learned the hard way on this ordeal, and also expensive way.

Hey, also welcome to the forum arduece, its a wonderful site to learn a lot from, all you have to do is ask questions.

arduece

its a 78 model D65E-6 serial number 26148356. yeah i was reading the ordeal you went thru. my injector pump is leaking and i plan on pulling it having it rebuilt/resealed and adjusting valves and injectors during the process. im still looking for a good service manual and parts manual. i found some on eBay. machine i bought is in real good shape all but it has been sitting for years. fuel system was full of thrash/sludge and has a oil leak underneath due to belly pan not being cleaned out and mud rusted a pinhole in a metal line.it doesn't idle or accelerate smooth like it should but hope all this clears it up. thanks for the welcome. i noticed shopguy had some input on you issue and that he is also from bama.

Randy88

Get in touch with shopguy, he's a world of knowledge on that engine, if you get a shop manual, make sure you get one thats a vintage of the machine instead of a new one from cummins like I did, they tried to put several different timing methods into the same paragraph, once you understand what they are talking about, it makes life a lot simplier, but if you buy a manual from the vintage of the machine, none of the newer engine timing methods are in there to confuse you as to what procedure you are supposed to use in timing the engine, thats the single best advice I can give you, shop ebay for an older service manual, ask shop guy if he has any extras as well you might be able to buy from him. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out for you.

beckco909

Ok I have a question, I have a NH 220, I believe a 1963 it's in a boat. My question is, the accessory drive pulley has no marks on it because of rusting, so how can I figure out how to time it for a valve adjustment ?

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
IIRC... Keyway in accessory pulley straight up should be TDC on 1 or 6 after that it gets a bit fuzzy for me. I would get a new pulley and go from there.

Truck Shop

When the exhaust is just closing and intake just opening on #6- #1 should be at top dead. Now use some emery paper and gently clean the pulley.
There should be tree notches 120* apart. And it will still be off the notch by 36* at TDC so you will have to bar the engine back and forth to find the
notch. Use a magnifying glass.

Truck Shop

StanRUS

Straight Six Firing Order 1-5-3-6-2-4 Use opposite cylinder by firing order to find which cylinder is @ TDC and firing...example #5 intake valve closing, #5 exhaust valve just start opening. #1 cylinder is firing!

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Straight Six Firing Order 1-5-3-6-2-4 Use opposite cylinder by firing order to find which cylinder is @ TDC and firing...example #5 intake valve closing, #5 exhaust valve just start opening. #1 cylinder is firing!
StanRus, I think you said that last part backwards. The exhaust valve is closing and the intake is starting to open. What I always referred to as "Valve over lap".

Oh, that firing order only works on "normal engines", not like some Detroit in-lines! Those can be either 1-5-3-6-2-4 or 1-5-3-4-2-6 or 1-6-2-4-3-5 or 1-4-2-6-3-5 depending on the model or rotation of the engine!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just an off the head question, has anyone been in this engine for any reason before? Say like changing the seal on the front cover that shaft goes through?

There have been times where someone who did not understand the details of the old Cummins engine have pulled that shaft out to replace a seal and just poked it back in place without thinking about the timing marks. The only reason there are timing marks on the gear on that shaft is to have things lined up for when you do a tune-up. Engine will run just fine, until you try to do a valve and injector setting.

The earliest versions of the NH/NT engines that had air compressors had the shaft that the pulley with the marks on it was one piece with the crankshaft of the compressor. Along comes a guy told to replace the compressor might slip one out and the other right in without knowing about the timing marks, pity the guy who gets the job of installing new injectors!

Back then it was common to replace the air compressor without removing the crank shaft. On the Cummins brand compressor you could actually slip the connecting rod off the crank without a problem and slip the reman compressor right on the original crank.

Bluox

I cleaned and wire brushed it I don't even see any marks. So the key way should be at 9 o'clock ?
With the key at 9 o'clock 3 or 4 will be on the mark which ever one that the valves are closed on.mark your pulley like the picture and your good to go.

good luck
Bob

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
This is really strange... The old posts from 2012 just popped up on my end. They did not show earlier???

StanRUS

kshanson, yep I did write opposite cylinder valve overlap example description a$$ backwards.
RZucker, Accessory Drive shaft keyway facing up-top is for installing accessory drive and you check timing marks by removing the plug and looking through the hole in the front engine cover.

If the Accessory Drive shaft was incorrectly installed then the accessory drive pulley's timing marks WILL not be correct for valve-injector adjustments.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
kshanson, yep I did write opposite cylinder valve overlap example description a$$ backwards.
RZucker, Accessory Drive shaft keyway facing up-top is for installing accessory drive and you check timing marks by removing the plug and looking through the hole in the front engine cover.

If the Accessory Drive shaft was incorrectly installed then the accessory drive pulley's timing marks WILL not be correct for valve-injector adjustments.
Yes... Dowel up changing out an accessory drive is what I was thinking about.