• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins missing & puffing

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Yes it'll turn over by hand with a breaker bar, I believe the solenoid is what's slowing the cranking down. Maybe the water in the fuel & gunk in the filters is what caused the missing & white smoking.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yes it'll turn over by hand with a breaker bar, I believe the solenoid is what's slowing the cranking down. Maybe the water in the fuel & gunk in the filters is what caused the missing & white smoking.
Ok good luck on your project.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
Hey Brandon, Might i also recommend that you see if your fuel tank has a drain on it.. Its possible that with 2 weeks of rain that your fuel cap (or some other nefarious reason) has somehow allowed water through and has accumulated to an unsuitable level where your separator cant handle the amount its sucking from the tank.
There is always going to be a certain amount of condensation build up in your tank over a period of time, the emptier it is, the more water you'll generate. the muck is usually a build up of rust and dust and crud from various other reasons (ie, quality of fuel, dispensation methods, etc) Bring in the water separator. from there, the secondary filter stops all the fun stuff that can be catastrophic to your fuel system's longevity.
you say the filters were full of water and muck? was it in both or just the one? I would definitely recommend having a peek in your tank. changing the filters is a requirement, but if your tank is dirty, it'll only be a matter of time till it does it again, costing you more than just a set of filters...

Edit: The fuel starvation caused by blocked filters would almost certainly Cause the white smoke you're experiencing.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck!

Vetech63

A drop of water in your fuel system getting to a hot injector tip can explode the tip. It sounds like you have lost an injector. As said before, start the engine at an idle and crack each injector line. When you crack a line and hear no change in the engine, that injector or cylinder is the culprit. You may want to pull of the valve cover on that cylinder and make sure you don't have a bent pushrods or broken rocker arm. Pull the fuel injector and check the tip for damage if the overhead looks intact.