• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cros-contamination using fuel buckets for hydraulic fluid

Labparamour

Happy Friday,

I'm needing to drain the hydraulic fluid on my Deere 450B to repair main suction line from tank to pump.
Do you see any problems using empty diesel buckets to hold hydraulic oil while doing repairs then putting buckets back into diesel storage when done?
(Any harm from small amounts of residual products cross-contaminating.)

Thanks,
DB

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't see a problem with that, there won't be much diesel left in the empty fuel can to affect the hydraulic oil you drain out of the machine. But likewise, I wouldn't think a Deere 450B would hold a whole lot of oil in the hydraulic reservoir, maybe you should consider dumping it and pouring fresh oil back in it when repairs are done? Only you could answer that question. But if you choose to recover and re-use, the little bit of hyd oil left in the fuel cans wouldn't hurt the injection system on a machine of that vintage either.

Labparamour

Thanks for the reply.
I put fresh fluids in when I got this previously abused machine several years ago.
I recently noticed the steel suction line has one spot that is crushed in 1/2 the diameter...no belly pan on the machine (it's on my list of things to do).
Reservoir is 7 gallons but, as I'm breaking the line at the lowest spot, I'm sure there will be more!

Have a great weekend!
DB

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Reservoir is 7 gallons but, as I'm breaking the line at the lowest spot, I'm sure there will be more!

Well of course, that's the way things typically work, which is where one typically uses ones favorite swear words at full voice while getting doused in hydraulic oil. LoL

Labparamour

Don't you think it might actually be a good time to replace the hydraulic oil based on that statement ..? Just my 2c.

Nige, thanks, I appreciate your input.

The machine is now a weekend, small-acreage use machine.
While she went unloved by her previous owner, I'm plugging away at issues I find.
I did replace all fluids when it came home in 2013 and it sees about 100hrs a year around here.
To the eye, hydraulic fluid still looks nice.
I'll look at the screen when I get everything drained.
I agree, in grand scheme, oil is pretty cheap...

DB

hosspuller

Have heard of technique ... Put a shop vac on the tank breather to hold the oil back while you break the tube connection. I do see a issue with sucking dirt into the system if the fittings aren't cleaned.

This is how wood moldings are continuously primed as they are made. A vacuum box full of paint with an entrance & exit hole

Labparamour

The idea of using a shopvac is interesting....might be an option when I change out the coolant temp sending unit.
For my hydraulic line, probably not. This isn't gonna be a quick fix. I can just imagine my dog tripping on the vac cord while I'm under the open fitting!

My damaged suction line is no longer available from Deere so I'm debating trying to fab a new one or cut the current one next to the damage, heat and pound out then reweld.

DB

hosspuller

The idea of using a shopvac is interesting....might be an option when I change out the coolant temp sending unit.
For my hydraulic line, probably not. This isn't gonna be a quick fix. I can just imagine my dog tripping on the vac cord while I'm under the open fitting!
DB
One doesn't have to have the vac on continuously. Just long enough to get a plug or cap on the tank side. I would still have a 10 gallon pan (or pans) ready at hand if the vac doesn't work as planned. :eek:

lantraxco

Typical field repair on a suction tube would be to cut out the damaged section, replace with a length of rubber hose and two or four clamps.

Reactions: DB2

Labparamour

I like that idea!
I need to get some hose anyway as each end terminates in hose w clamps....I'll just get a little extra ;)

DB

Labparamour

Update:
Doing some repairs during the winter months.
The suction hard-line had the crushed spot right in the middle of the run.
I spliced a new section in.
(Going to pressure test for leaks then paint)
Replacing the rubber hoses, too.

I made a “suck bucket” (thanks Willie59) and drained most of the reservoir from the top so there was minimal to catch/wear when I broke the line below.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Darryl

Attachments

• C7F52FAE-871B-4355-B6F8-6908DB07E690.jpeg
    C7F52FAE-871B-4355-B6F8-6908DB07E690.jpeg
    687.7 KB · Views: 37