• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Converting old style shift lever to new style

Axman

I have the old style Roadranger 13 speed w/overdrive shown below and would like to know if and how to convert this to the new style shifter.

Attachments

• !BR6V0YgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw1)bDiBK!dfwcwBg~~_2.jpg
    !BR6V0YgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw1)bDiBK!dfwcwBg~~_2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 3,896

Komatsu 150

I have the old style Roadranger 13 speed w/overdrive shown below and would like to know if and how to convert this to the new style shifter.

I did it some time ago and there's more involved than just the shifter. The air hose routing has to be changed and I remember changing something on one of the shifting cylinders. There was something of a kit from Fuller with a diagram of how to do it. I wish I could remember better but that's all I got. The memory doesn't work like it used to.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Basically you should just be able to buy the new shift knob, put it on and then hook up the hoses.

Why do you want to change it? With the new style you will have two buttons/levers instead of one for the high/low/od. One on the side for the direct/od, and one on the front for high/low range.

Also what tranny do you have. If it is a 15713 you can get the knob for a 18 spd. and you will have a 18 speed. Only difference in the shifter knobs is that the 13 speed has a lock out for the OD when in low range.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
shifter

I did it some time ago and there's more involved than just the shifter. The air hose routing has to be changed and I remember changing something on one of the shifting cylinders. There was something of a kit from Fuller with a diagram of how to do it. I wish I could remember better but that's all I got. The memory doesn't work like it used to.

I agree, I had a truck with this type shifter and the shifter knob went bad and I checked with my local heavy duty truck shop and they called the factory. I changed my mind quick. If I remember correctly, I had to buy a kit that went on the tranny, I think it was like $300 bucks. Guess what I did???
Yep, That new chrome knob, looks great

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
yeah, the tranny shouldn't care whats on the end of the stick as long as it gets the air where it needs it. I think the new shifters even label the ports for color. you can do it!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Looks like a knob off of an RTO 9513. I know why he wants to change it...those knobs were dang uncomfortable compared to the new knobs, IMHO. :D

Axman

Thanks for the reply's guy's. In my little mind, it should be as simple as slapping a new knob on and hooking the air lines up but Eaton Fuller shows a convertion kit you have to buy and some new valves. I just didn't know if I wanted the new style that bad to pay all the extra money and spend a half-day of beating my head againest the wall. I think for $30 a new round one sounds pretty good.

Komatsu 150

I agree, I had a truck with this type shifter and the shifter knob went bad and I checked with my local heavy duty truck shop and they called the factory. I changed my mind quick. If I remember correctly, I had to buy a kit that went on the tranny, I think it was like $300 bucks. Guess what I did???
Yep, That new chrome knob, looks great
I remember it being pretty pricey. I went for it after the dealer parts guy told me the original style was discontinued and not available. I found out later new knobs were even available from NAPA.