• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Converting Dayton 15" tube type to 17.5" tubeless

D6c10K

I've got a 25 ton lowboy with 15" daytons that I might consider converting to 17.5 tubless. Six of the 8 tires on the trailer need replacing so now's the time if it's worth it.

Accuride lists them in two different wheel offsets and they're available from a china supplier too for about $90 ea.
(page 18-20 of pdf file) http://www.accuridewheelendsolution...v.-1-Accuride-Wheels-Product-Catalog-2015.pdf

Where do you measure the offset on demountable rims?

15" bias tires are pretty inexpensive....how will 17.5" tubeless compare in price?

Anything else I need to consider?

Last edited:

Wes J

Are those 15s snap ring rims? If so, it's really hard to find anyone who will change tires on those nowadays. That alone would sell me on the switch.

Are you sure the inside of the rims are the same diameter?

D6c10K

The rims are snap ring type, but I've got a local guy that will still work on them....sometimes I can even get him to work on the split rim wheels on my '66 C60 Chevy, but he won't let any of his employees touch them.

No, I'm not sure yet if the inside diameter is the same....I've read that you can get wheels that will fit but not sure of exact part numbers yet.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
My old lowboy had 17.5 tubeless. Yes the inside diameter of the rim is the same.

Mountainmover

I am trying to convert my PHELAN 25-30 ton dual axle 8 tire lowboy from 8.25x15 to 17.5 tires. So far I think the wheels needed are: Accuride/Firestone wheel 31868-175-pkgry21. And another tire shop says: 17.5x6.75 Accuride 17575-WD. Another site shows: 318-68175.
Can someone confirm? It is supposed to be a thicker wheel that uses the same hub.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Tubeless rims use a different style of wheel grip point. May need to replace the wedges and or center spacers as well.

Mountainmover

Tubeless rims use a different style of wheel grip point. May need to replace the wedges and or center spacers as well.
Thanks for the reply and advice!
That's a good point! I'm worried that that is the case. I would like to know more specifics if anyone has any advice or input.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Check with the tire supplier you use most, talk to them of the wheels and options both coming off and to go on. Should have access to catalog to ID the needed pieces.