• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Controlling engine speed manually?

corksil

Hey, I had an issue with the throttle controller on my zx35u hitachi. To make a long story short, it broke and I'm still figuring out how to fix it.

It happened about 20 hours ago, and since then I have disconnected the throttle control cable (electronically controlled) and used a cable-tie to position the throttle lever where I need it to be.

Typically, there's an electric motor which pulls the throttle cable (connected to spring loaded throttle lever) and that is how the engine speed is controlled. The rotary/potentiometer switch up near the gauge cluster on the dashboard is how the engine speed is adjusted. Turning the switch clockwise increases the engine speed, and turning the switch counter-clockwise decreases the engine speed.

Because the switch/computer/whatever is having an issue, I've bypassed all of that stuff by putting a cable-tie directly on the throttle lever so I can manually control it's position/speed.

Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? Or any damage that may result? So far I don't have any issues and it has been about 20 hours of "manual" throttle control via my cable-tie.

Thanks!

CatKC

With the possible exception of -a fault- attempting to shut down/control the throttle there should be no adverse affect.
The electric controlled throttles are for convenience with the addition of 'the computer' being able to control it when some abnormal thing happens.
But if your 'computer' has a problem anyway . . . .. it seems like a reasonable working bypass.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I see your fairly new to the board.. WELCOME..
This topic has been discussed in detail w/ the "kit" part #'s given for "manual controls".. I'm not real computer savy or I'd lead you in the direction of the threads..
Mainly the topic is for Kobelco, Komatsu & such.
IF you've already disconnected the electric controller motor. the only thing I can think of is, a "warning lite or code" on the dash will/would pop up.. the computer will tell the controller motor to "derate" the injection pump.. but IF its not in the system, no worries..
Again.. Welcome aboard.. your in good company..

ycs

No side effect if you manually control it, since 35d yanmar engine and hydraulic have no electronic on it..There is manual throttle cable kit for sale at ebay or china website, but electronic throttle motor kit also available.. if you not gonna use the auto idle just go for it..

corksil

Okay this information is really reassuring. As stated, I've got about 25 hours of use with the throttle actuator disconnected.

Can set the engine speed at a desired rpm by putting a cable tie around the throttle lever. Has been working fine since then.

Thank you --- I will confirm that I have a 35d engine.

ycs

Okay this information is really reassuring. As stated, I've got about 25 hours of use with the throttle actuator disconnected.

Can set the engine speed at a desired rpm by putting a cable tie around the throttle lever. Has been working fine since then.

Thank you --- I will confirm that I have a 35d engine.
Go to your nearest salvage yard and look for handbrake assy with the cable included, weld it next to your seat.. Deere 35d use Yanmar 3TN engine...

szpryczek

Hey, I had an issue with the throttle controller on my zx35u hitachi. To make a long story short, it broke and I'm still figuring out how to fix it.

It happened about 20 hours ago, and since then I have disconnected the throttle control cable (electronically controlled) and used a cable-tie to position the throttle lever where I need it to be.

Typically, there's an electric motor which pulls the throttle cable (connected to spring loaded throttle lever) and that is how the engine speed is controlled. The rotary/potentiometer switch up near the gauge cluster on the dashboard is how the engine speed is adjusted. Turning the switch clockwise increases the engine speed, and turning the switch counter-clockwise decreases the engine speed.

Because the switch/computer/whatever is having an issue, I've bypassed all of that stuff by putting a cable-tie directly on the throttle lever so I can manually control it's position/speed.

Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? Or any damage that may result? So far I don't have any issues and it has been about 20 hours of "manual" throttle control via my cable-tie.

Thanks!
I see you still not fix your problem. I used few time manual cable in ZX-1 series and was no problem with electronic. If I remember good there in your kind of hitachi is not a pomp with proportional electric steering value. So normally when you use something like this you can fix a problem for a moment like this