• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Continental engine question

glzim79

Hello. Does anyone know if I can use the block from a Continental gas TM20 to rebuild a diesel TMD20? They appear to be the same. I have access to a block out of a gas engine but can’t seem to locate a diesel.
Any info would be appreciated.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Idk.. but I would think the “D” would be stouter.. more thickness between cylinders and crank webbing..
Just a thought..

glzim79

I haven’t done any measuring but by all appearances they seem to be the same. The diesel block has a place for a distributor…..

cfherrman

Lots of industrial engines are the same, diesel gets forged rods, domed pistons and an injector while gas gets cast rods, lower compression pistons and a spark plug.

I don't know specifically in this case.

Truck Shop

Forged crank.

Welder Dave

It could have been designed as a diesel and they offered a gasoline version as an option. Similar to the 3 cylinder Perkins. A heavy duty block for gas engine versions.