• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compact T30 or Bobcat Roller for Skid Loader

thahn1608

Ok, I'm in the market for a compaction machine. Apples to apples I'm looking at 3 different compaction devices:

1. A low hour Compac T30 pad foot roller. It has a Kubota diesel engine and gives about 14,000 pounds with the vibratory function. It is 48" wide and weighs about 6,500 pounds. $6,800

2. Bobcat 48" vibratory smooth drum roller attachment for a skid loader. It gives about 14,000 pounds with the vibratory function. Had been hardly used and is in near new condition. $2,500.

3. Bobcat 73" vibratory pad foot roller attachment for a skid loader. It gives about 10,000 pounds with the vibratory function. Has about 25 hours or so on it and is in new condition. $4,500.

Thoughts on which one would be best? I am looking for something that will compact backfill dirt around foundations and compact driveway stone base, among other small jobs. I certainly don't want a big machine that has to have big trucks to move. In a perfect would I would like to find something that would compact enough to be able to put footers on (clay type soil), but I doubt a small machine would suffice. If it were you as a general contractor which one would you choose? All are have their advantages and all are in fantastic shape for a great price. All things being equal which one is better?

FloridaWayne

I have a Compac T60, Bobcat 48" and 72" rollers. All smooth drum. The attachments are great as far as not needing a second machine moved in and out. The biggest issues I have are the hassle of back and forth between bucket and roller, and the fact that the Bobcat must drag the roller as it does not turn the drum itself. It is much better with a tracked machine but a dedicated roller is definitely better on the job. Just jump on it and go. The drawback with the 48" attachment is that it is offset to one side. It can be a pain sometimes. Be sure to grease the inner and outer bearings on the attachments often. Also carefull to not put machine weight on the roller. Just use the float. They take quite a beating. It looks like Compac no longer makes those rollers. You may want to make sure they will support them. Good luck.

Last edited: