• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

compact loader vs skid steer

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
I have a Waldon 5100. My question is how does your Waldon dig into a stock pile of dirt? Does it get a bucket of dirt? Mine only gets the cutting edge into the pile then stops moving into the pile, hadrley nothing in the bucket. I plan on putting full lockers in the differential axles to see if that would help. Can you communicate what performace you get from your Waldon loader.

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
I have a Waldon 5100. My question is how does your Waldon dig into a stock pile of dirt?

My digs fine in loose dirt. Just push in and roll the bucket up as you get part way into the pile. Hard ground forget digging with a Waldon unless it has down pressure and posi. The machine is top heavy for dogging work and most of the older machines never had down pressure as it was made to be a yard loader for Foundries. We use ours to load dirt mulch and pallets in our receiving/shipping yard. Does ok on grass into mulch piles but forget digging compacted dirt with a Waldon. We use our other loaders that are balanced better and have teeth and full down pressure and limited slip axles to dig hard ground. I have a Terex SCL-515 that digs hard ground faster than a JD-350 dozer. .

Lil' Puss

I know this thread has whiskers, but considering a Giant G2700 to augment or replace a Mustang 2040. So wondering how the Giant would be for carrying a ton of heating pellets up a steep gravel driveway. The last articulated wheel loader I ran was a Cat 944 in 1966.

Lil' Puss

Well I bit the bullet and got a Giant G2700HD+ 50 HP CWL. It is articulated and oscillating. Handles a ton of heating pellets up a steep drive without breaking a sweat (and it has heat and stereo). Kicked the skid steer to the curb and not looking back.
Disclaimer: This was the first time I used it, so not very proficient. And it doesn't tear up the gravel!

DGODGR

I know nothing about the Giant brand, but I wonder what kind of dealer support, and parts availability they have. Regardless, I hope that you have more stuff for it to do than cart around pallets of pellets. If not, kudos to you. You've probably got more discretionary income than I do.
Another idea would be to buy an old A series Bobcat. The All wheel steer platform has been a fantastic one for me. I'm not especially a fan of the newer A770s though (I have one of those too). If you do perform other tasks with the machine (besides the pellets), there are definitely pros and cons to each platform (skid vs CL). In my opinion, the CLs have much better visibility to everything except the cutting edge.
I hope that you get a lot of good service and enjoyment from it.

Side note:
I cant believe that the RR lets you park all that stuff on their ROW. I've done a lot of work on the RR ROW and they are very finicky about anybody/thing in their ROW.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
CNH bought Giant. They are marketed now under CASE and NH.

DGODGER did you go off grid down there for a while?

DGODGR

"Off grid"? I haven't had time to spread my special form of disinformation on HEF for a while now (If that's what you are referring to). I've been living a very "unmanageable" life style for a while now. Trying to do more work then one can shake a stick at, and store as many acorns as I can, so I can retire at the end of the year.

Lil' Puss

The Giant CWL's are made in the Netherlands. High end machines, priced comparable to Cats. Kubota engines. Quite a wide product line up. There are two models larger than mine. Like I stated, this is replacing, and a step up from, my Mustang 2040. I forgot to mention that it also has the universal (SSQA) attachment plate and remote hydraulics so I can use all my other SS attachments.

The road that I park my equipment on is owned by the US Navy, and I take care of it for them. It's a blocked access to the base. The road and grade X-ing is only used by me and MOW vehicles from the short line.

Lil' Puss

CNH did NOT buy GiANT. They signed a partnership with GiANT. GiANT will still exist as normal. Case and New Holland will be selling a limited variety of machines. Think of it like how John Deere sells loaders that are made by Liebherr.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Well.... partnership....bought out....

IceHole

We have one at work. Forget the name now, it's something sorta funny. Jumper, Gallopper, something like that. Powered by a 4 cylinder Deere, hydrostatic trans. Uses a quick tach, I think Bobcat pattern

It's ok, but visibility is terrible. With forks you need a spotter, can't even see the tines.
The bucket is no better, though I've not run a loader where you COULD see the cutting edge, so guess there's that. (Run stuff from little IT28s and 980s to 988, Volvo 350, etc)

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
I'm a contractor doing Hardscape work, retainer walls and drainage and have a half yard loader, a Takeuchi TL130, and a Dingo. The Dingo is used the most. The Takeuchi is a beast around the job site.
The loader with bucket and forks isn't used much.

Attachments

• 20220712_124924_resized.jpg
    20220712_124924_resized.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Using ground mats with big machine to move pallets.jpg
    Using ground mats with big machine to move pallets.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Pallet fork attachment.jpg
    Pallet fork attachment.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have run the Taki 80 wheel loader, Case 321, WN 50, and numerous others of WN wheel loaders. I really like running all of them. Visibility is much better, more comfortable to run, and much easier on fuel than an equal size SSL or CTL. I have never bought one for the reason of their limited truck loading ability. They struggle reaching into higher sided trucks than a large frame SSL or CTL until you get into the largest of the of the compact line ups. They have a place, but given the same dollars as a large frame CTL, I can get more done faster with those than a CWL. However, change the circumstances of what your needs are and a CWL can make more sense. The small ones with turf tires are great working on grass.

MNGopher

I have run the Taki 80 wheel loader, Case 321, WN 50, and numerous others of WN wheel loaders. I really like running all of them. Visibility is much better, more comfortable to run, and much easier on fuel than an equal size SSL or CTL. I have never bought one for the reason of their limited truck loading ability. They struggle reaching into higher sided trucks than a large frame SSL or CTL until you get into the largest of the of the compact line ups. They have a place, but given the same dollars as a large frame CTL, I can get more done faster with those than a CWL. However, change the circumstances of what your needs are and a CWL can make more sense. The small ones with turf tires are great working on grass.
I've always wondered why more people weren't enthusiastic about CWLs for all the reasons you mention.

Interesting to note that the Takeuchi wheel loader is actually a branded Schaeff built in Germany which was owned by Terex until they sold it to Yanmar.