1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Coating agricultural machinery

Discussion in 'Agricultural Equipment' started by Henry01, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Henry01

Henry01 New Member

Hi,

Can anyone suggest me some powder coaters? My friend is a farmer and he wants to coat some agricultural machinery. He asked me suggestions. I have heard about some of the companies here. But, I don’t have any experience with them. So, I am confused whether to suggest him the companies or to search for a better one.

Does anyone have any previous experience? Can you tell me the best coating techniques available for farming equipment? Is it better to consult the companies offering services related to powder coat painting in Toronto? And how much would these companies charge for their services? Replies awaited. Thank you!

2. Legdoc

Legdoc Well-Known Member

My experience with powder coating is limited to equipment purchased new. Including parts on a back hoe, 32' trailer, cement mixer and other items. They all have **** poor longevity for a paint job and are all peeling. Manufacturers love the process as there are little VOC's to deal with. I have always had excellent durability with sand blasting, priming and painting with high performance coatings. A custom powder coat process may be better. There is no primer used and my bad experience may be due to improper surface preparation. I will stick to what has always worked for me.

check likes this.
  3. ol'stonebreaker

ol'stonebreaker Well-Known Member

retired
    I wouldn't recommend powder coating for anything other than yard art. One little ding on it and moisture forms rust under it and it just keeps traveling under it. Good surface prep, a quality primer and quality paint will serve better on farm machinery. At least if the paint gets dinged the rust won't travel under it.
    JMHO,
    Mike

4. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

When powder coating first came out, everyone was in love with it- manufacturers loved the magnetic "no skill" application, the hard finish etc. I don't see everyone as excited about it as before. I don't know specifically what your looking at powder coating, but oven size for the baking the finish is usually the limiting factor on size of objects.