• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chunkers/Grizzlys

jms1387

Setting up a Concrete/Asphalt recycle yard and was curious if anyone on here has utilized "chunkers or grizzly's" to help pre-screen material to help minimize time sorting it all out with trackhoe and loaders. my thoughts are to build your typical ramp and build a large chunker at the top for the dump trucks to dump over it when dropping off material. this would leave me a clean pile of larger chunks and a dirty pile with say an 8" minus. i think the 8" minus pile would be good for your subbase material or roadstones and the larger cleaner pile would be easier to meet gradation on certain products. Any Thoughts???/

grandpa

I've made a couple of them..... you have to build them heavier than one would think and also make them long.... the length makes for a better job of passing the finer material thru.

kevink

jms1387

Did you ever build your grizzly for trucks to dump on been throwing this idea around myself just wondering if you had any luck

kevink

Grandpa
Is most of your material pretty dry. I am trying to take most of the dirt out of concrete to crush and just havent found a economical way to do it yet still trying tho.
Was thinking of a grizzly like yours with a conveyor to take the dirt out.Dont know just how long it would need to be for wetter material.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Are you going to accept concrete with rebar in it? If so, it's a bear trying to crush it and deal with the rebar. If your primary crusher is a jaw I suggest installing a slide bed under the jaw discharge and an electromagnet over the under jaw conveyor head pulley. And if you have smaller peices still attached to rebar the magnet may or may not grab them. Been there, done that!!
As for dumping trucks on a grizzly, it depends on the truck driver. If he just wants to dump and go most the fines will accompany the oversize. even with a loader you have to dribble it out of the bucket to get good separation.
Mike

Rngrchad

Occupation
Operator/driver
I don't see successful concrete processing very feasible without a screen machine, and another note id figure about 85 to 90 percent of concrete has some form of reinforcement in it. A mag after the crusher be it a rotary or jaw will be nice when scrap comes back up in price. I run mine on the primary belt.
A 4to 6 ton wrecking ball is awesome too bust chunks and slabs if u can't afford a proper breaker attachment. Just scoop up in a dirt bucket and drop and repeat.

Last edited:

CaptainAnalyzer

Occupation
Young business owner
Excavator with a muncher for the rebar issue. Like this :

7736b53b99bf65c61b839bdfe8d56191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grandpa

My material is rock that has been grizzlyed off a primary crusher grizzley. I split it again after the crusher to get two saleable products. I personally don't thing a grizzly would work work a crap on concrete.