• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champ forklift with chrysler industrial inline. Switch to propane

crane operator

I've got a old Champ forklift with a Chrysler industrial inline 6 motor. Its a pain in the a$% to haul 5 gallon cans of gas for it, plus it seems like its always out when I need it. I don't use it very often (once a week or so), so the propane wouldn't go bad like gas does. I have propane at the shop, so I'd like to convert.

Its a single barrel carb on the forklift right now with a manual choke, manual fuel pump. I can come up with the propane tank used.

Just wondering if anyone has done this. I don't know how the flow of the propane is set up, is it just a vacuum draw? Can I just find a old forklift that's propane and build a adaptor plate for its "carb" to my intake? My inline 6 is quite a bit bigger engine than most of the little flat head 4's I see, so I didn't know if one of those would work.

lantraxco

We used to buy conversion kits, sized to the engine displacement. Engine that big will usually have a convertor which uses coolant water to heat liquid propane from the tank to vapor, then the carb meters the vapor into the intake. You will need a tank that can give you liquid, forklift tanks are with very rare exception are all set up that way. YMMV