• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chainsaw thread

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
husky saws & Moose 010.JPGhusky saws & Moose 007.JPGhusky saws & Moose 005.JPGhusky saws & Moose 010.JPGhusky saws & Moose 007.JPGhusky saws & Moose 005.JPGI ran the 372XP a week ago. It screamed through the wood. I haven't run the 575XP yet, other than just firing it up. I am looking to get a full wrap handle for it. I have quite a few saws in this displacement range, mostly Stihls. Been using the MS460 for most of my firewood cutting.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Hahaha. Picked up a near new Husqvarna 3120 today. It's an older one with the screw on filter cover. Hardly used. It's gonna rape some logs.
Also did a little work to a Stihl 050 I bought a few weeks ago. Yup, runs like a top.
Oh, and I got a Stihl 041 Super. Had to do a little work to it too, but it is a nice saw. Looks good sitting next to the 041 Farm Boss I bought new in '82.
So I have 30 saws. Mostly big ones. Long bars, big displacement.
One of the recent ones is a 770G Homelite with a huge bow bar on it. It runs. This might be my oldest saw, although I have a McCulloch that is probably about the same vintage. Everything else is late 60's and newer.

Old tractor

Occupation
Utility worker
They all run great. The 090 needs a kill switch, and the wrap bar has been 'modified' so a replacement would be a nice touch. The 051 looks almost brand new. Runs like it too. The 075 is almost as nice at the 051. I have a Homelite 1130G with w 4' bar and 1/2" pitch chain. I't listed with pics on chainsawcollectorscorner. Also have a cpmpletely stock, nice running S10 Stihl. Oh, and I have a Homelite bow saw. A 922 Super or 926 something like that.
Don't tell Vigilant, but the Partner 100 Super I bought the other day now has weak spark. Tried to fire it up yesterday:eek: and couldn't get it to go. I'll have to check it out. Something changed.:Banghead Had bright blue spark a couple days ago and ran great.
I have an 056 Mag II that I bought last year that had never been run. Was virtually brand new. I got to burn the paint off the muffler. I've cut a couple cord of wood with it. It's not for sale. Everything else is.

Go cav I was in for 7 years as a 19d

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
think they'd have some kind of machine for that by now... :)

Queenslander

Yeah, chainsaw is still the most efficient, time wise.
Usually a one man job,they can be cut at the stump or the billets taken to a central dump, laid out in a row and split, making recovery with forks easier.
Some have tried portable mills, but setup, loading and recovery can be time consuming.
Billets vary in diameter and are rarely perfectly straight, no problem for a chainsaw.
Others use wheeled buzz saws,driven with anything from a 2 cyl B&S to a 4cyl Subaru motor.
If you know how to set up and operate one of these beasts, they are easier on the back, can produce a nicer product but aren't much quicker.
This is the only one I've been able to find on the web, saws used for post splitting aren't as cumbersome as this.
Cheers, Greg

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=50051.0

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Do you guys ever cut fence posts like this over there?
Millions are cut this way in Aus every year, nearly always from hardwood.
It has even become a competitive sport in some areas,these blokes are racing in a state final.
Cheers, Greg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MM0KcjOMgr8

This obviously did not take place in North Carolina. Around here, ya gotta show some buttcrack to compete in a chainsaw contest. :D

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
What sort of wood are they working with? It appears to be nice wood and straight grained also.

My experiences with fence posts requires 30 blocks of red cedar 9' in length and about 3' diameter, four wedges a 12 pound hammer and a father wanting to know why I wasn’t getting more done. I found out that at 11 years old a 10-pound hammer worked better for me…..

Queenslander

That would be Ironbark, a very durable hardwood. Often, the wire rusts out before the posts rot away.
Old timers used to split this with just wedges, hard enough now splitting with chainsaws.
Red Cedar is far to valuable to use as fence posts in these parts nowadays, usually reserved for furniture and the like.
Cheers, Greg

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Do you guys ever cut fence posts like this over there?
Millions are cut this way in Aus every year, nearly always from hardwood.
It has even become a competitive sport in some areas,these blokes are racing in a state final.
Cheers, Greg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MM0KcjOMgr8

Greg, the video is very impressive!

It's nice to know that people are doing something good with real logs, over here so much of the industry is harvesting toothpicks and gluing the splinters and chips into 'boards'...

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I just finished a job with three that were over 72" on the stump and dozens 48" and larger.
All fell with a modified 660 and 32" bar.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
What mill is buying that size log?

Good question. I thought Weyco's Mill B in Everett was the last sawmill that could handle the tacklebusters in those parts, and they have been closed for a good 25 years or so now. I'm wondering if you would have to quarter something that big in this day and age.

Gone are the good old days.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Last I knew of was Raymond and I thought I heard they took out the double cut seven or eight years ago.

boardbysled

Lots of mills buy big wood still, Buse, Stimson Clastskanie, and Hull-Oakes just to name a few, plus the exporters as well.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
^^This^^
PLS will also take a 21"+ log. Columbia Vista got the nice oversize and Stimson got the 3 mill oversize. Butteville & Caffall bros got the cedar.

Lots of mills buy big wood still, Buse, Stimson Clastskanie, and Hull-Oakes just to name a few, plus the exporters as well.